New Retina Macbook Pro advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jailbr3ak, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Jailbr3ak macrumors newbie

I'll soon be getting a rMBP and I would like some advice on which of the two models you guys would recommend? Ill be using this computer for light gaming such as Minecraft and TF2, Xcode, Keynote, Pages and Netflix. And I would like it to last for the next couple of years

1.) New rMBP, mid 2014, 13', 2.6 i5 dual core(Turbo to 3.1), 8gb RAM, and 128gig storage.

2.) Refurbished(From apple), rMBP, late 2013, 13', 2.4 i5 dual core(Turbo to 2.9), 8gb RAM, and 256gig storage

Mainly I'm wondering if the extra .2ghz is worth getting that model over the one with the double storage.

Also is there any disadvantages to Refurbished(From apple)?

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah I'd go with option 2 as well. I doubt you will notice that much difference in speed but you'll probably blow through 128 GB pretty quickly if you have even a normal amount of music/movies. Keep in mind too that the OS is going to take up some of that space.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

option 2

Seconded on this.

4. sabbyp macrumors regular

If you stream all your music and movies, only play a few non-demanding games like you've mentioned, and can handle putting other files on an external drive or dropbox/something similar - then go for the first option

without trying to come across like a snob, (believe me, I put up with terrible computers for many many years) 128gb is a paltry amount to house everything on a personal computer these days. That first 13" model is meant for extreme light users, Facebook machines etc and shouldn't really be considered 'pro' in any sense.

Unless the retina screen is absolutely necessary to you, a more powerful macbook air could prove to be better bang for your buck

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I see your point

I see your point but to be honest that screen is worth the hassle, and the i5 in the pro is still better than the seven in the air.