New Retina Macbook Pro Owner Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickftw8686, Jan 22, 2013.

1. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

So i just picked up an open box retina macbook pro from best buy and wanted to get some tips and advice from some fellow retina macbook pro owners. I already checked and i have the Samsung screen, I also checked and my battery shows a cycle count of 1.

What else should I check or do first to make sure I have the best possible foundation for my new machine.

Thanks everyone!

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Hey, I just recently obtained my MBP, too. Some things I did:
    - Check the specs to see you got what you ordered (Apple button > About this Mac > More info...).
    - Check the casing thoroughly to make sure there are no scratches and dents.
    - Make sure every key on the keyboard works.
    - Make note of when your 1 year of AppleCare expires so you can upgrade before it's too late (if you didn't already purchase the 3 year AppleCare).

I've also heard of people doing screen retention tests on their rMBPs which you might want to look into.

3. nickftw8686 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips, I have not purchased a apple care warranty, figured id wait till my 1 year one is about to expire. This thing looks brand new, I think the last person opened it, used it for a day and took it back.

4. walkie macrumors 6502

You can check the screen for stuck/dead pixels, screen flickering, yellow tinge, check all USB ports work, sound card, wifi, Bluetooth and so on...

5. nickftw8686 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, so far so good, this is not my first mac product so thankfully I have a good idea on how to get around it and check stuff for functionality. It is my first retina device so wanted to just be sure that the Retina macbook pros did not have anything special to watch out for, like heat issues, screen, etc.

6. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Check for the screen manufacturer has stated above. Also put the system into sleep, and wake it several times and verify that the system isn't affected by the SMC bug (make sure your system runs at full speeds).

7. DayVe3000 macrumors member

Your in no rush mate - So long as you've registered the product to yourself with Apple.

Thats the whole point of warranty!

Enjoy the machine and hope you see no issues.
    I would advise to go looking for problems as such.

Apple Care's not a bad shout on a machine so expensive - But like yourself, I didnt purchase with the Mac (just because it cost me so much) . . . I'll buy that at some point down the line.

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Another to add to the list is backlight bleeding. This is one of 5 most common issues of LCDs.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I haven't seen many reports of backlight bleeding on the retinas - it seems to be the one aspect of the display that's normally alright! :p

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Personally, I wouldn't hyper-analyze the thing. You'll just find something that's probably not even a real problem and freak out over it. You know, like what make your LCD panel is. I'm not even going to check mine. I think my display looks great and I'll leave it at that. But I have the 13" retina and I think most of the talk has been on the 15".

Anyway, I'd make sure you fully patch OS X. Performance on mine got way better after I updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2 with the latest updates. Apple logo in the upper left -> About this mac will tell you what you're running. Mine said 10.8.1 out of the box. Running software update wouldn't give me the 10.8.2 update for some reason. Well it showed it to me once, but I was in the middle of installing something else. Then it went away and never came back. I had to download it manually from Apple:

This is for the 13" Retina. I don't know which build of 10.8.2 you need for the 15"
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603