New Retina Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Jan 15, 2014.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is the only difference between a Macbook Air and a Retina Macbook Pro the screen. Does the Air still run at 1440x900 while the Retina runs at 1280x800?

Thanks.

2. nickdylan macrumors regular

Not quite. The Retina Macbook Pro can run at up to 2560x1600, since it has a much higher display. You can run it in 1440x900 or 1280x800 as well. The Pro is also slightly larger (about half a pound) but has a much more powerful processor.

3. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

You want the retina - I was in the same thing; I think there's a difference of only couple of pounds between edu pricing of retina and air; my advice? grab some student friend, get him a bottle of whisky and he's all yours ;)

4. TheArcher macrumors newbie

5. LoganD macrumors newbie

A little off topic, but I need expert help! lol

I've found someone selling a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, but I'm confused with all the jargon! He's said its a used Apple MacBook Pro 13 inch Mid 2012 up for grabs! Has been used for Music production, Live performance and gaming. Will come with thunderbolt adaptors for connecting monitors. The super drive has been replaced with a Hybrid SSHD (750GB) so the total hard drive space is 1.5TB and performs like a SSD. Comes with original boxing, power cable and shell case. Also comes with applecare until October 2015 but this maybe invalid due to the upgrade. Remember, Super Drive Is Not There!

Is this good? And what does the superdrive missing mean/do? Also, is this a retina?

Thankyou all for any help haha

6. kelon111 macrumors 6502

That one does not have the "retina' display. Hybrid HDDs are also far away from SSDs in general performance so don't be fooled. The warranty probably has been void (unofficially I guess) because I don't think Apple says you can't replace the DVD drive with something else.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477668

7. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

I believe another difference is the CPU, in the MBA, Apple uses Intel's Ulta Low Voltage variant of Haswell, where as the MBP uses the mobile flavor