Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the new Retina Macbook the most beautiful notebook ever designed?

• Total voters

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I channel Steve Jobs and I don't like the looks of this rMP.

Looks like a Sony/Panasonic.

Need to see a little screen bezel to match rest of the case.

Lighted logo classic Apple lost now can be confused with a Lenovo (eeeww) from the back.

Barely any bezel around kbd/mouse somehow not aesthetically pleasing, not in proportion.

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I prefer the look of the rMBP's. They look more professional, sturdy and uniform IMO.

The MB looks fragile, and gimmicky.

At least from the photo's. I'd have to see one in person to make a final call.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I prefer the look of the rMBP's. They look more professional, sturdy and uniform IMO.

The MB looks fragile, and gimmicky.

At least from the photo's. I'd have to see one in person to make a final call.

They could have squeezed several more hours of battery life into it if it wasn't tapered. That's my only gripe, but it would have made it heavier and perhaps made typing less appealing. I don't know.

I wish the marketing department would stop saying 9 hours is "all day" battery life. 9 hours is great. You don't have to shill so hard.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
They could have squeezed several more hours of battery life into it if it wasn't tapered. That's my only gripe, but it would have made it heavier and perhaps made typing less appealing. I don't know.

I wish the marketing department would stop saying 9 hours is "all day" battery life. 9 hours is great. You don't have to shill so hard.

9 hours is all day on a laptop and thats conservatively speaking. I noticed that my 2012 13" rMBP had better battery life in real world use than even my 11" MBA.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
9 hours is all day on a laptop and thats conservatively speaking. I noticed that my 2012 13" rMBP had better battery life in real world use than even my 11" MBA.

Most people are 8 hours asleep and 16 hours awake. I would say 16 hour is closer to being legitimately "all day" instead of lawyer-speak.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I voted yes. From an engineering standpoint this is one of the most amazing designs I've ever seen. When you look at the bottom case and see the scalloped design (essentially ribs that reinforce the rigidity of the unibody) I can see that every aspect of manufacturing this machine has been thought through thoroughly.

On the outside its minimalism at its finest.

Soordhin

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Oh well, 16 hours minus 1 to 2 hours bathroom, 2 to 3 hours preparing food and eating, another hour for coffee breaks, any number of hours of recreational activity like sports, lets make that a round 2 to 3 hours and there's about 8 to 9 hours left for work, for which notebooks are designed.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Most people are 8 hours asleep and 16 hours awake. I would say 16 hour is closer to being legitimately "all day" instead of lawyer-speak.

I think it depends on what you are doing with it.

----------

+1. Not in minority anymore.

The poll results are there and they show 70+%. I think the machine is gorgeous but I can see the similarities with an MBA. I think it's more like an improved MBA design wise.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It's functionality that matters, a tool I use heavily each day, my Mac Laptops are worth their weight in gold.

With the current cost of gold at $1,154 per ounce you are saying that your MacBook Pro Retina is worth $82,349.44 and your MacBook Air is worth $54,653.44.

If that is what they are worth to you then you would have no problem paying that much for them then since they are worth that much to you, right?

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
With the current cost of gold at $1,154 per ounce you are saying that your MacBook Pro Retina is worth $82,349.44 and your MacBook Air is worth $54,653.44.

If that is what they are worth to you then you would have no problem paying that much for them then since they are worth that much to you, right?

Your humor is endless... :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I voted yes. From an engineering standpoint this is one of the most amazing designs I've ever seen. When you look at the bottom case and see the scalloped design (essentially ribs that reinforce the rigidity of the unibody) I can see that every aspect of manufacturing this machine has been thought through thoroughly.

I gotta say you are drinking the cool-aid man.

Apple is master of making those videos, "this is just the finest aluminum ever produced with 99.9999% purity, etched in a vacuum more potent than outer space!" THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT IT. Myself I think cool, but what's the $premium you are asking me to pay? and what am I compromising?

Give me a self-healing, liquid metal that can never the scratched then you sold me.

On the outside its minimalism at its finest.

I like minimalist designs myself, clean, uncluttered, don't give me stuff that don't work and just make it look busy, BUT sometimes there is such thing as too bared, IMO. Some very expensive stereos, they are so minimalist that they don't even give you a remote, everything is manual because that's what purity demands. No-no-no-no-no, good quality is fine but I need my convenience!

Last edited:

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
I don't really like edge-to-edge keyboards, but otherwise it is gorgeous indeed. If there were a 15" version, I would be drooling.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
The powerbook 17" 1.67ghz to me is the most beautifully designed notebook imo, and best built quality - still have one and use it for light tasks.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I don't really like edge-to-edge keyboards, but otherwise it is gorgeous indeed. If there were a 15" version, I would be drooling.

so you didn't liked powerbook 12" either same edge to edge keyboard
i think latter this year they will announce a 14" version, but not even a rumour about it, still it's still march

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I gotta say you are drinking the cool-aid man.

Apple is master of making those videos, "this is just the finest aluminum ever produced with 99.9999% purity, etched in a vacuum more potent than outer space!" THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT IT. Myself I think cool, but what's the $premium you are asking me to pay? and what am I compromising?

Give me a self-healing, liquid metal that can never the scratched then you sold me.

You realize that Apple didn't say **** about the scalloped design right? Only that the batteries fit into it. They didn't mention at all the new unibody construction. Open your eyes to thoughtful design, I don't give a damn about the aluminum composition and never claimed to.

I'm not buying that machine because I just purchased what I really wanted, the 13" rMBP. But I'm guessing in two years when the entire PC laptop industry has conformed to the new standard that apple has set, exactly as they did with unibody construction, and again with the MBA you'll just be saying that's how laptops have always been engineered correct?:roll eyes:

Credit where credit is due.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
so you didn't liked powerbook 12" either same edge to edge keyboard
i think latter this year they will announce a 14" version, but not even a rumour about it, still it's still march

Nope. I'm not really a fan of the whole G4 lineup, if I'm honest. Then again, that is probably because I can compare it to the unibody, which is probably the definition of brilliant industrial design.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Voted NO!

Nothing comes close to the 17" Powerbook G4.

powerbook17top.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.