New Rev.B MBP (2.53 GHz)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ftbps macrumors member

Hello All,

I just have a quick question on the new MBP. I returned my new 2.53 GHz MBP because the screen hinges were loose. By mistake instead of issuing a refund, apple did a replacement on this unit.

A new 2.53 MBP has been shipped from Shangai. Now I am scared if this will also be the REV A laptop, so I went and called apple and asked if they know if this was from the first lot or the second lot. They said based on the date it was created, it looks like it is from the second lot. I do not know if the guy I was talking to true or not.

But since it got shipped yesterday (Oct 28) from china, can it actually be a REV B laptop and might have a chance of tighter hinges? I know this is hard to answer, but anyone having any knowledge of gutt feeling.

Thanks,
    BPN

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Doesn't Rev B refer to an entire second generation of a product's design rather than a second manufactured batch? :confused:

To answer your question, the hinges just might have been flawed on your individual unit. Shouldn't really be worried about it... Worst case scenario it's loose again and you have to ask for another replacement.

3. KSpider macrumors regular

It is a Rev A - until apple updates the actual line...

4. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

I read lot of people complaining about loose hinges as compared to the MB. The reason given was that the screen is heavy, but in reality, the screen was loose.
    Do you think that this would be tight now? Does anyone have a MBP with tight hing and if moved or tilted teh screen stays where it is?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its either Rev A of the GlassBook Pros, or Rev E of the OldBook Pros.

6. KSpider macrumors regular

I know my screen would shut if i tilted it, unlike the old macbook pros...

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The hinges aren't "loose" they are designed to be like this.

The previous 15" is a simple friction hinge.

The 17" uses a counterbalanced design because of the weight. This allows it to move easily, but will close by itself when the back is tilted up. This design works well on a desk (where the 17" is expected to be used most) but not as well on the lap.

The new 15" seems a compromise between the old 15" and the 17". It allows the screen to be adjusted easier than the old 15", but says open at a greater lean angle than the 17". But if you tilt the back all the way and stick your face in the way it will hit in the face.

You may not like the hinge behavior, but it's not "loose", it's supposed to work that way. Returning it for another will do nothing, the replacement will work the same way.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i have heard rumors of gutt feelings, but i don't have first hand knowledge of any.

sorry!:rolleyes:

9. ftbps thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else has some views?

10. delude macrumors 6502

For a start, why the hell are people using their Macs upside down? The screen falling down shouldn't be an issue, as a Laptop surely isn't meant to be used in that way.

11. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

That's MacBook Pro Classic. ;)

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

well since there is no "rev b" of the new mbp's yet, i guess that would be a no.

13. Mackan macrumors 65816

There was a guy who returned his because of the loose hinge, and he got a replacement which didn't have a loose hinge. I don't think a loose hinge is something intended. I wouldn't like to have one.