New RevB Air, need help with OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by billgatesceo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. billgatesceo macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just scooped up a refurb Rev B for a steal on Ebay. It isn't coming with any OS loaded. The previous owner had Linux installed on it and I wanted it shipped right away, so I told him to wipe the drive and ship as is.

I do not have a superdrive, nor do I plan on buying one. What is the easiest way to get snow leopard loaded up on a virgin hard disk? I have a brand new 64GB SSD just waiting to be installed. Is there a network install option? Will any usb dvd drive work?

Excited about finally getting a mac, just need a bit of help getting started.

Cheers!

I found a couple of tutorials about install from USB drive. The issues are:

1) I only have easy access to windows xp and 7 boxes
    2) I only have a 4GB USB drive. Can I use this method on a USB attached external hard drive assuming that I can find a method to prep it in windows?

nevermind on my SSD in waiting. It's a 2.5 and not a 1.8. Man do I have a lot to learn.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

3. gerabbi macrumors regular

I have a generic Asus dvd/cd usb drive and it works with my MBA. I installed SL and everything went according to plan. It should work with yours also. There is a way to restore a dmg and have a usb thumb drive act as a dvd but I believe you need a Mac already to do that. Good luck.:)

4. still in school macrumors 6502

5. billgatesceo thread starter macrumors newbie

$650. missing magsafe adapter. comes with best buy 1 year warranty.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you have another computer, copy snow leopard or leopard, the dvd onto an USB flash drive or a partition on a USB external hard drive, then boot off of it. OSX allows USB booting.

7. billgatesceo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. However, in the past, I have always come across convoluted steps to get a USB drive to be bootable. does anyone know of specific steps to format the usb drive or hdd in a format (master boot record, etc) so that the air can read?

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you have a 2nd mac to do this, just "Restore" in Disk Utility. Drag the DVD Drive to the source and destination is the Flash or USB HDD.

If you have a PC, I'm not sure how this would work.

9. billgatesceo thread starter macrumors newbie

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

Probably the best workaround without access to another Mac is purchase SL $25+/- , purchase a usb dvd player $50 +/- and you'll be good to go. Then you have a dvd player, burner, ripper as well a legal copy of the OS and a back up should something go wrong. :)

11. billgatesceo thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. I have a spare USB dvd rom laying around. I was planning on running to Best Buy to pick up a copy of SL. Seems like this will be the most pain free way to go.

Thanks for all the help!

12. billgatesceo thread starter macrumors newbie

win 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hi Guys,

this forum has been great thus far. I started another thread in the windows on mac forum to ask about the best process for install.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=799295

I have the process down now. My last question....would you guys put 64-bit win 7 on the rev b or 32-bit (assuming that 64 bit is even an option)?

Cheers!

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Put 64-bit in there for sure. Whenever possible, take advantage of 64-bit. Unless you're Apple, then you don't even allow 64-bit kernel on 64-bit capable machines like the MBA...

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Actually with the air, it really doesn't matter. 32-bit you'll save some space and memory, 64-bit you'll have slightly better performance, but not by much. If you ask is it gonna slow down, no, it won't.

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Funny thing is that you get a truer 64-bit experience with Windows than with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. Cause Snow Leopard isn't truly 64-bit on the MBA as it's a 32-bit kernel. It really ticks me off.