New ringtones for your iPhone the FREE and EASY way

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karlfranz, Sep 7, 2007.

1. karlfranz macrumors regular

karlfranz

I decided to make some new ringtones for the iPhone. I've never cared for the "musical" ringtones that most people download and would prefer to use ones that sound less melodic and more like sound effects. So using the (I'm assuming) royalty-free sounds from my Garageband Jam Packs I made a collection of 23 ringtones that you can very easily add to your iPhone as well.

Here's how you do it:

1) Download my Ringtone archive from http://karlfranz.com/kfm_ringtones.zip.

2) Unzip the archive to extract all the ringtone files.

3) Create a new Playlist named Ringtones (or whatever) in iTunes. This important because ringtones will not show up in the Music library but will show up in a playlist.

4) Make sure the playlist is selected in iTunes, then drag the ringtone files onto the playlist.

5) Audition my ringtones from this playlist to see which (if any) you like.

6) To install the ringtones, plug in your iPhone and select the Ringtones tab. All the new ringtones from the archive I supplied you should appear on the list.

7) Select the ringtones you would like to download to your iPhone and hit Apply at the bottom right of the iTunes window.

8) The new ringtones should appear on the ringtones settings screen and on the sounds for events such as the alarm clock.

Note: This was tested with iTunes 7.4. I know there is a new 7.4.1, but I haven't tried this with it so far.

And now, a request Could some of you please mirror my ringtone archive file so that you guys don't eat up my bandwidth quota? If not and it gets too bad, I may have to remove the file after a while. I did try to upload the zip file to macrumors, but the max file size for zip is only about 250KB.

Enjoy!

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Dont you have to convert the file from MP3 to another format and then rename etc..?

3. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

I already did all the hard work for you guys. You don't hve to do anything else beyond the steps I listed.

4. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

5. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

let me know if you tested it with 7.4.1, I'd really like to know.

6. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I think they fixed it in 7.4.1 thats why the less than 24hour update of Itunes :D

7. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

Word on another thread is that 7.4.1 patched this loophole. However, if this is the only thing that this update did, then I won't be updating for a while. Someone else can be the guinea pig.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

tried it. doesn't work now because of the update.

9. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

10. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

How do you get ringtones to show up in a playlist? I can only get them to show up in the ringtones tab for the iPhone

11. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

You create the playlist first, then drag the *.m4r files to the playlist as you are importing them into iTunes.

12. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Reverted back to 7.4 and it works OK

In order to downgrade to 7.4, I trashed 7.4.1, and ran the 7.4 installer.
    Got a pop up saying I couldn't install over newer version. Deleted iTunes
    and iTunes Helper prefs (from Home > Library > Preferences), and 7.4 installed.

Anyway, thanks for making these!

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Guys, he did ALL the HARD work! He renamed the file extension to m4r! :D

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

And you did what?

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

16. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

Yeah, I also went through all my loops in Garageband, found ones appropriate for ringtones, turned them into songs and exported the songs into AAC format. Then I used Fission to trim each song into the proper length for looping as a ringtone, then renamed them, imported them onto iTunes and tested them on my iPhone. I then made an archive of all the files, and made it available for others to use on my own domain for which I pay for bandwidth. Oh, I also discovered the method to allow you to import the songs into playlists so that you can still see and access them in iTunes from outside of the Ringtones tab of the iPhone.

Again, what did you do other than mock other's work in your post? You must be exhausted from your effort. :rolleyes:

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

And all that was unnecessary! You could have just mocked others work. :rolleyes:

Ok.........

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! LOVE the Cell Phone ring! Nice and loud and just want I wanted!

Great work! :)

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You're absolutely right. I didn't read the entire thread about what you did, sorry about my quick judgement. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the work you did.

Of note, according to this guy's blog:
    http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/

All you have to do to fix it for 7.4.1 is make the extension m4a instead of m4r...so there's an easy way to make all the stuff you've already done compatible with 7.4.1 for everyone here.

I also use the cell phone ringing one from garage band :D

19. cjandnw macrumors 6502

20. hobo macrumors regular

Does anybody know how I can get the 7.4 installer for mac? I don't plan to use it yet, but I want to make the .m4r files in 7.4 and then update to 7.4.1.

I won't even use 7.4 for at least another week.

21. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Nice, thanks man. Can't wait to give these a try!

22. Interventionist macrumors newbie

Now thats what I wanted to know Thanks

Your ringtones are nice but they're yours.. I would like to make my own.. So..this Fission, is this something you downloaded for just this purpose? Next question: Does the new Garageband version or Itunes version offer this conversion ability from AAC to m4r?

Thanks

23. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

24. karlfranz thread starter macrumors regular

karlfranz

Fission is a lossless audio editor from Rogue Amoeba:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/

You can use it to trim MP3 or AAC files and save them back without re-encoding.

Garageband can export files to AAC. m4r is not a new file format, it is still AAC with a dofferent file extension.