New rMB 12" running Garmin BaseCamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rambler358, Jun 8, 2015.

1. rambler358 macrumors member

rambler358

I'm curious if anyone is running Garmin BaseCamp with the new MacBook? Any lag with maps, creating routes or zooming? Thinking about getting this new MacBook for traveling with my motorcycle, but if it can't run BaseCamp smoothly I may go with the 13" rMBP. I need to update GPS maps often during trips, and would definitely prefer the greater portability of the 12" rMB.

2. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

3. rambler358 thread starter macrumors member

rambler358

4. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I finally installed Gamin Basecamp this afternoon on my 12" 1.2/512. Using maps on the NuviCam GPS I think it ran pretty well as long as I kept the "Detail" slider mid-way. Going full bore on the "Detail" slider made for very slow zooming or map updates.

I'm not totally familiar with Garmin Basecamp. I did a simple route and it worked fine. I'll play with it more this weekend and plan a longer trip from the Des Moines to Boston and see how it goes.

5. rambler358 thread starter macrumors member

rambler358

Thanks much for checking this for me!

Now I just need to go to my Apple Store and check out this MacBook and the 13" rMBP to see what the differences are in person. But I'm still heavily leaning towards the rMB.

6. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the 13" ran it a little smoother. Other than the retina screen have you considered an Air?

7. rambler358 thread starter macrumors member

rambler358

Definitely want a retina screen and portability. I just need to see in person how portable the 13" rMBP is. I know it's 1.5 lbs heavier than the rMB, and that could be a big factor as I'll be packing it on my motorcycle.

8. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Yes the retina display is well worth it, and the light weight and small size of the Macbook 2015 is compelling even four us four wheelers ;)

9. rambler358 thread starter macrumors member

rambler358

One other thing to note - viewing maps on the GPS itself is much slower than viewing the same maps on the computer. Even my high-end PC lags a bit when viewing maps on the GPS on max detail.

I've already placed my order for the 1.3GHz 512mb rMB. I'm sure it'll be fine for my needs.