new rMB setup advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmac20, Apr 20, 2015.

1. dmac20 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I know I've seen some information in threads about the "beach ball" spinning for a while on the FileVault step while setting up the new macbook. I've seen others say that they dodged this but wiping the computer when they first got it and installing 10.10.3 (i think, may have written the version wrong? but .3 instead of .2)

So I'm just wondering if people who have gone through this wanted to chat and give advice around the best way to set up the new computer, with their experiences in mind. Would you advise me to do the same thing, and just wait out the beach ball / have to reset it, or try something more drastic from the start? Should I say yes or no to filevault?

Thanks! My 1.2 arrives today from Best Buy, can't wait!

2. macappleguy8 macrumors member

For me personally, I did a clean setup. I did not use Time Machine or Migration Assistant since most of my stuff is already in the cloud. After I set everything up, I then turned on FileVault. FileVault took almost all day to setup. But I was still able to use my computer while FileVault was processing. This was after I had install almost 100 GB of software, files and folders. I saw no spinning beach ball and my computer did not freeze on me.

3. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

If it beach balls, have a sandwich. Probably the easiest and simplest course of action.

4. saifrc macrumors member

It looks like Apple is addressing MacBook setup issues in a support document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204755

Saw this on AppleInsider:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/21/apple-details-for-new-12-macbook-owners

5. DCLocal macrumors newbie

Be patient

From other posts, if you see the beach ball just spinning, be patient and let it be so the setup routine can run its course. Make sure your MacBook is plugged in and the setup will eventually complete.