New rMB vs 2011 mini?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidg4781, Nov 8, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have a 2011 mini (and 24" LED ACD) that I bought a while back after giving my 2010 MBP to my mom.

My plan was to use this to get by until an awesome refresh to the MBP came out.

It did. And I'm not complaining about them, but now that I'm considering possibly upgrading, I'm wondering if the rMB might fit my needs and if so, how does it compare to my current mini?

As for a back story, I was looking at the new MBP and thought I could save some money and get a rMB, better battery life, and still be able to do everything I need. I play some games but don't think the rMB would cripple that, at least anything I'm currently playing on the mini.

Then I thought maybe I could just save more money and just keep my setup. I'd like portability but for saving over $1k I can live with that. At least until I really need to upgrade or something really major launches.

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

What cpu in mini? Compare the geekbench for each for a start. To see if you think it is a worthwhile upgrade.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

i5 2.5 Ghz. The geekbench scores, from everyman, were about the same. The mini has a dGPU... but it's at least 5 year old tech. It's an AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The dGPU in the mini is inconsequential. iGPU vs dGPU doesn't matter on its own. You have to compare specific hardware. That dGPU was not very good in 2011, and now it's old. This seems less important though. If you're not really taking your computer anywhere, and the mini still suits your needs, then it's fine. I wouldn't buy one of those today, but if I owned one I already owned one, I wouldn't necessarily see a reason to buy a rMBP.

5. gooser macrumors 6502

don't get a laptop if you don't need a laptop.