New rMBA or keep New rMBP??

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
420
52
VA
I like to have the latest in apple stuff if I can afford it. I just bought a entry rMBP ($1299) 11 days ago, but I hear they may announce a rMBA on Monday 3/9......I just use my Pro for surfing web, YouTube, social media, email and a few apps, the 8gs of ram I have is nice to have. I hear this new air might come in colors like the iphone, possible Touch ID, retina and some other neat stuff. Should I return mine and get this?? Problem is my 14th day to return it is on Saturday and the keynote isn't till Monday! Agh, or should I not even worry about it and just keep the Pro......
 

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
1,210
219
I like to have the latest in apple stuff if I can afford it. I just bought a entry rMBP ($1299) 11 days ago, but I hear they may announce a rMBA on Monday 3/9......I just use my Pro for surfing web, YouTube, social media, email and a few apps, the 8gs of ram I have is nice to have. I hear this new air might come in colors like the iphone, possible Touch ID, retina and some other neat stuff. Should I return mine and get this?? Problem is my 14th day to return it is on Saturday and the keynote isn't till Monday! Agh, or should I not even worry about it and just keep the Pro......
I say it. It doesnt hurt to just wait and see if its announced.
 

Queen6

macrumors 604
Visited one of the major Apple stores here in China today, to checkout stock of the max`d out 11" Air, speaking with some of the Apple team, they recommended I hold off until after the 9th...

Talking with them about a "potential" 12" Air nothing was confirmed or denied, equally holding off on any purchase until after the 9th was reiterated. Speaking to them about USB (C) the consensus was that compatibility would be an issue, and Apple would bring a solution to market if that is the case.

What did come up in conversation was that by waiting the current model will likely be reduced in price while stocks last. Personally I found this comment most interesting as one, I had not discussed the price, two I had expressed concerns for my need of the present 11" port configuration.

Maybe nothing more than a speed bump, or maybe a new machine, we will see soon enough.


Q-6
 

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
420
52
VA
I say it. It doesnt hurt to just wait and see if its announced.

Thing is I can't wait and see, because my last day to return is this Saturday. So should I return and hope they announce a rAir? If they don't annoynce one will I be able to go back and buy another rMBP with no problem? I paid with cash, I don't know how that works.
 

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
1,210
219
Thing is I can't wait and see, because my last day to return is this Saturday. So should I return and hope they announce a rAir? If they don't annoyance one will I be able to go back and buy another rMBP with no problem? I paid with cash, I don't know how that works.
If you paid with cash I believe they'll send you a check. Someone might have to chime in.

If I were in your situation, I would return it and rebuy it if they don't end up announcing it. I know if I was in your shoes, if I kept the MBP and they announced the air, I would regret it and kick myself for not returning.

Rebuying isn't too much of a hassle anyways. Maybe takes about 2-3 hours getting a brand new computer set up the way you like. Maybe less or more depending how much stuff you have.
 

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
7,682
2,103
Keep the Pro

If you paid with cash I believe they'll send you a check. Someone might have to chime in.

If I were in your situation, I would return it and rebuy it if they don't end up announcing it. I know if I was in your shoes, if I kept the MBP and they announced the air, I would regret it and kick myself for not returning.

Rebuying isn't too much of a hassle anyways. Maybe takes about 2-3 hours getting a brand new computer set up the way you like. Maybe less or more depending how much stuff you have.
The new retina air is likely to have a very low powered chip in it, initial testing on lenovo products with these chips has shown disappointing performance levels.

The Pro has better connections is still very thin and light and has great CPU and GPU.

Unless you really need endless battery life just keep the fantastic machine you have already...
 

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
467
124
Thing is I can't wait and see, because my last day to return is this Saturday. So should I return and hope they announce a rAir? If they don't annoynce one will I be able to go back and buy another rMBP with no problem? I paid with cash, I don't know how that works.
Where did you purchase it? If it was an Apple Store I have always found that they are lenient on the return date, especially when a new product is announced.
 

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
436
0
Phoenix, AZ
I would say since its the 13" rmbp you got, return it and see. If it was the 15" you got I would say forget it and cut loose with that beast.
Now, if I were you, I would take it back any way and get the 15".
 

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
6,670
1,745
Thing is I can't wait and see, because my last day to return is this Saturday. So should I return and hope they announce a rAir? If they don't annoynce one will I be able to go back and buy another rMBP with no problem? I paid with cash, I don't know how that works.
You could just think about these things in advance. There's no way to be sure what they'll announce and what features will be present. An rMBA could still use a TN panel to control costs, in which case viewing angles and and contrast will still be inferior. I sort of doubt it though, as it would be the one exception within their retina branded products (yes retina is a pending trademark, nothing more). You should also consider that the rumored mba is supposed to be 12" rather than 13". I can't recall if the rmbp uses the same aspect ratio, but an 11" mba is considerably smaller than a 13" rmbp. This would be in between.
 

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
467
124
i purchased it at an Apple Store
Chances are they'd let you return it Monday. To be safe, why not just return it Saturday and see what happens Monday? Better yet, call and talk to them about it. Tell them your situation and ask them if it would be okay to return on Monday if the rMBA does come out.
 

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
5,065
4,349
Denmark
I like to have the latest in apple stuff if I can afford it. I just bought a entry rMBP ($1299) 11 days ago, but I hear they may announce a rMBA on Monday 3/9......I just use my Pro for surfing web, YouTube, social media, email and a few apps, the 8gs of ram I have is nice to have. I hear this new air might come in colors like the iphone, possible Touch ID, retina and some other neat stuff. Should I return mine and get this?? Problem is my 14th day to return it is on Saturday and the keynote isn't till Monday! Agh, or should I not even worry about it and just keep the Pro......
You can't really be highly interested in the latest Apple stuff, if you hadn't heard about rMBA before now - Keep your computer and be happy. It works fine.
 

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
420
52
VA
You can't really be highly interested in the latest Apple stuff, if you hadn't heard about rMBA before now - Keep your computer and be happy. It works fine.

i been heard about it a long time ago like everyone else, since its so close now and i just so happened to purchase a Pro so soon, I'm thinking i might wanna do a swap. Just don't wanna go through the hassle returning it just to find out there is no rMBA then have to rebuy what i already have. But id hate to not return it, and an rAir is announced...