New rMbp 13" Touch vs Imac 4k....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreenPea, Nov 1, 2016.

1. GreenPea, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

GreenPea macrumors newbie

Should I RETURN the Imac 4k I bought last week for the new rMbp 13" touch???

I do light computing: email, a little word processing, serfing the Net, some other basic stuff. I am NOT a Programmer or Gamer, etc.

If you could only have one, which would it be?

I am leaning rMbp 13" touch... Am I crazy?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

If you need portability, yes. If you don't, no.

I don't totally get it when people are debating between a notebook and a desktop computer.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Same here. I was looking at refurbished iMac prices online after preordering the 2016 MBP last week and was like, "wow! I can get so much power for so much less!" But I can't (easily) take an iMac with me everywhere. If someone is really asking themselves if they should get an iMac or a MacBook though, chances are they should get the iMac because clearly portability isn't one of their concerns.

4. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Since you're not a programmer/gamer I think the 13" would have plenty of power for your usage. If you wanted the best of both worlds you could also consider an external monitor down the line and set up a nice docking station. Seen more people going that route lately and I have to say there's some pretty nice setups out there

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Answer one question:
    Is your Mac going to sit in one spot never to be moved? If the answer is yes keep the iMac, otherwise go with the MBP.

6. imorton macrumors 6502

I use a 13" mid 2012 MB Pro with 16GB Ram, dual 480GB SSD's and use this on the road. When i'm back at the office, I throw it into a Hengedock docking station, which runs my external Time Machine SSD, and a 24" Monitor

The best of both worlds :)

And the laptop scores 6455 with Geekbench so it does all my VM and graphic intensive work, and boots in @ 15 seconds... :)