Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hey guys my New rMBP 15" begins running slow when the dedicated video card (NVIDIA) comes on. I have GFXcard so I notice that when the dedicated graphics card switches to it, the computer becomes much more sluggish. Is this common? Anyone else? I have 16GB ram and 512SSD model.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I never noticed this problem with mine (Haswell 15" with 750m).

What kind of software are you utilising to make the 750m activate, perhaps that is the cause of the perceived lag?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Hey guys my New rMBP 15" begins running slow when the dedicated video card (NVIDIA) comes on. I have GFXcard so I notice that when the dedicated graphics card switches to it, the computer becomes much more sluggish. Is this common? Anyone else? I have 16GB ram and 512SSD model.

It should be faster if anything :O If your using the integrated GPU it takes up your system RAM, often times when I max my RAM out with just be lazy and keeping tabs open I turn the dGPU on and anything that leverages graphics takes advantage of it and I gain about 1GB or RAM or so, not to mentin everything runs smooth. Try updating CUDA drivers in preferences...my rMBP came with bad drivers for CUDA and the dGPU wouldn't work in some apps and was laggy.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
It should be faster if anything :O If your using the integrated GPU it takes up your system RAM, often times when I max my RAM out with just be lazy and keeping tabs open I turn the dGPU on and anything that leverages graphics takes advantage of it and I gain about 1GB or RAM or so, not to mentin everything runs smooth. Try updating CUDA drivers in preferences...my rMBP came with bad drivers for CUDA and the dGPU wouldn't work in some apps and was laggy.

How do I update those drivers? Where do I look in preferences.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
I never noticed this problem with mine (Haswell 15" with 750m).

What kind of software are you utilising to make the 750m activate, perhaps that is the cause of the perceived lag?

Hmm honestly it just happens under heavy load of like certain websites. Obviously if I am using editing software it is on during that too but for such small stuff as opening tabs, it gets slower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.