New rMBP 15'' some questions :-)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stuBe, Aug 2, 2013.

1. stuBe macrumors newbie

Hey, i'm new here and i have some questions. I finally got my new 2013 rMBP 15inch and i'm so excited about it :):):)
    Well, my questions are is it normal that the Caps Lock key doesn't respond always ? I mean sometimes I have to press it a few times till the little green lamp goes on:confused:
    And second is, I immediately checked my screen when i received it and it's really beautiful, but then I remembered Image Retention and checked which screen i have. The terminal says ''Color LCD LP154WT1-SJA2'' So it's a Lg I guess. Is image retention still a big problem ? Btw, my computer was built in week 16 (April). And I heard IR can develop over time and may get worse ?:(
    Regards:)

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Not sure about the Caps lock key, but if you can reproduce the issue everytime, take it to the apple store, they may have some ideas.

Image retention is less of a problem in the second gen LG screens (which you have), but even so, it doesnt always happen. Im on the 1st gen LG screen which is prone to the image retention problem, but I have not gotten it yet. You have 1 year of Apple warranty, which will allow you to get a replacement screen if the IR issue shows up at that time. I would recommend getting applecare though once it gets closer to the end of your warranty date, that way, you wont have to worry even if you get the retention problem in the future

3. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Whoa that's weird, I just got my refurb 15' rMBP 2012 a couple days ago and never pressed the caps lock button yet. I seem to be getting the same problem you have. Having to press it twice or three times until the light comes on. Hmm...

Edit: Hmm after pressing the caps lock key alot it seems like the problem doesnt exist anymore... Weird that it happened before though.

4. stuBe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. ok i think i'll just wait and hope i won't get IR. At least I have the Samsung SSD :D

----------

I don't think its an issue anymore ---> :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1192?viewlocate=ja_JP

The caps lock function on these computers is designed to reduce accidental activation. You must press and hold down the key slightly longer to activate the caps lock function.

Computers with this feature include:

MacBook Pro with Retina display (all models)
    MacBook Air (all models)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) and later
    MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008) and later
    MacBook (13-inch, Late 2007) and later

5. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

6. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Image retention develops over time, but is unlikely to surface in the SJA-2 LG models. You are likely to have no issues with your panel and its quality.

The caps lock issue, as stated by someone above, is a non-issue. They are correct in that Apple implements 'accidental prevention' for caps lock. This can be seen in all current Macbook models. I know it seems odd that it will sometimes turn on and other times it won't, but it really comes down to whether the computer thinks you are intentionally pressing the key or not. If you press it in with a lot of force, it should turn off/on every single time.

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Don't worry at all. IR, lags, caps lock not working, laptop getting very hot, fans spinning at max speed,...etc seem like issues at the beginning but they are very normal, and you'll get used to it very soon. Apple is far ahead of its competitors, that's why their hardware and software seem to be always in beta or even alpha state. They can't sell mature technology if they want to innovate and be ahead of their competitors...

8. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Lol, horrible case of fanboyism. Theres no hardware in the macbooks that's not available anywhere else. Apple stopped innovating years ago, now they have their hands full catching up with their competition.

9. that1guyy macrumors 6502

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2012 rMBP and my caps lock key functions as it should. I'd say if the SMC reset doesn't fix it, then its not a normal thing.

As for IR, if you have it now (even slightly) it will get worse in the course of time. If you don't, I don't think it will suddenly appear.

11. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Lol . I was being sarcastic... :D

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Oh good. I thought you were serious too.

13. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Well in that case I apologize. It's hard to tell what's sarcasm online :)

14. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

No problem :), it didn't hurt me at all because I have always been critic of apple. However, there are many fanbois in this forum. The season of fanbois-hunting is open again!... :D

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

You and me both. I tell it how it is, because people are biased beyond belief lol.

16. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Wierd you say that about the caps lock, it happens on my Bluetooth external Apple keyboard connected to my Mini.

17. Danform macrumors newbie

Caps Lock

The caps lock is working, you just need to press it longer than a tap like you would if you were typing, its simply resolves you typing in caps by accident. The power key behaves in the same way.