new rMbp, 2 weeks in...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fisherking, Dec 6, 2015.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

just sharing some thoughts. am now 2 weeks in with my first retina macbook pro (13", i7, 16gb ram). it's a significant step up from my late-2011 13" macbook (i5, 8gb ram...).

did a clean install...of everything (the OS, my apps). migrated only my docs, and music.

one serious crash, and had to reset the SMC (my external drives keep disconnecting). but presently...all is well.

it's definitely faster. and logic X (my main app) has had no overloads (which happened often on complex mixes on my older mac); my process there was to reboot with wifi off, and ONLY open logic. now, even on those same mixes..things are working fine (sometimes with 5 or 6 other apps open). this is great.

love the screen; i bumped up the resolution, so i've got more screen real estate (wonderful with logic X). and everything's sharp, clear.

lighter to carry (i backpack a lot; hey, it's NYC). it doesn't get as hot, and i don't hear the fans as much (just sometimes; usually when playing a video in VLC, or something.

my original plan was to wait for 2016, see what's next. but i can do my work, so, no matter what...am happy now (and that's where i live, in the now...)

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I also went with the 13" 3.1GHz i7 and 16GB of RAM. I wish I had saved $200 and went with the 2.9GHz i5, but I needed a computer now and the Apple store only stocked the i7/16GB combo.

Just out of curiosity, why did you do a clean install of the OS? As far as I know, it is completely unnecessary to do this with OS X.

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

the mac came with yosemite, and i've been running (on my old mac) el capitan (the .2 beta). so...since i was starting with a virgin setup...installed el capitan, then the beta. then my apps. i wouldn't have done that if 10.11 was on the mac when i got it.

4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Well, Auntie Google had to tell me what Logic X is, but I'm pleased for you. Everyone likes to see a happy camper.