New rMBP and Magsafe (Battery with power on)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by batatoon, Oct 15, 2013.

1. batatoon macrumors newbie

Hey, I was told that with the new rMBP and Magsafe if the light in the power cord is green, the power is comming directly from the current, and not from the battery which is continually being charged. That would make sense, since you can remove the battery from the rMBP and work with it only connected trough the power.

Can anyone clarify this for me/ link sources?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well in a retina macbook the battery cannot be removed, its glued to the top case unlike the other macbooks where you can remove them by taking of its screws. The only thing you can do is disconnect the battery cable but that may short the logic board if you just leave it around. When the macbook detects no battery it will throttle the cpu. If you just wish to not use battery power keep it connected on ac power but ensure you use the battery once a week at the most.

3. case2001 macrumors 6502

Not trying steal the thread thread...but why do you need to use battery once a week? Isn't once every couple of months ok?

Thanks

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Let your battery take care of itself. You are overthinking this.

Batteries in Mac portables have had chips in them to prevent overcharging and that also trickle charge and discharge the battery continuously to keep it healthy FOR YEARS.

Use it without thinking about it. It'll still die 3-4 years from now, no matter how you use it, LiPo batteries only last for so long before crapping out.

5. batatoon thread starter macrumors newbie

You're missing my point, If I'm near a power source and have my charger with me, there is no point in using the battery. My question is, does the rmbp have the technology to get the power directly from the source rather than using the battery in case it is fully charged?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, more frequent use than once every couple months is recommended, to keep your battery healthy. Running on battery for a few hours every few days is recommended. See the link below for more information.
    Yes, on all Apple notebooks, when the battery is fully charged, it stops charging, even if left plugged in, and runs on AC power. Only in rare circumstances will your MBP draw power from both AC and battery. You really don't have to worry about your battery.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

7. batatoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, your answer was the answer I was looking for. Although I read trough your linked topic and apple's FAQ I didn't find in there a statement from apple itself that confirm the macbook runs on AC power when fully charged. Can you provide this for me? Because I've googled and looked everywhere I could think of and found nothing. Thank you!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple used to have a statement in support articles and in the user manuals that clearly stated that once fully charged, charging stops and power is drawn from AC power exclusively. They no longer post the statement, as it's common knowledge that that is the case. It has always been true for all Mac notebooks.

9. batatoon thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. I wonder why.

Thank you for your knowledge!