New rMBP Battery drain while idle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by furam90, Mar 16, 2015.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Anyone else notice their battery is draining a lot when idle? Walked away from my computer for about an hour and a half and it drained almost 15%.

Generally find that the battery life is good, but that seems like a lot when not in use. Maybe my battery is not calibrated? Or perhaps theres a program running in the background? Not sure what would cause it.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

mine is on two days standby with 5h59m left according to projections. I have used it for probably 3 hours total.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

My late 2013 will run 12 hrs. with sporadic usage.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It obviously wasn't idle. Check Activity Monitor to see what apps or processes are consuming energy.
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.
    This is the most likely scenario.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check out the tips in this article, particularly that "assertions" command about halfway down. That will help you figure out what is running and keeping it awake.