New rmbp battery problem or not? 6 hours against the 9!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Sep 22, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hey guys my brand new rmbp 2014 13inch model is only three days old and has done one battery cycle. The thing is even with 50 percent brightness at 100 percent battery the computer estimates only 6 hours of battery which is no where close to the claimed 9 hours! Should I be worried or is this normal? Btw I'm only using safari for surfing and nothing else!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you basing your question solely on the estimated time showing in the menubar? Notice the word "estimated" :D

How long does the battery charge actually last?

The battery time is computed, on-the-fly, by the system, and may not necessarily reflect what you actually get in real life. The time-remaining will change, sometimes significantly, during use.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What specifically were you doing? i.e. playing your FB game (which will suck battery life quicker than anything), or what?

Seriously, what you're doing will have an effect on battery life. Simply doing email or surfing the web, you'll get upwards to the 9 hours. Playing a game, watching YouToob videos, or rendering video via iMovie, Motion 5 or FCPX will use up the battery a lot quicker.

One more thing...remember that the the estimate is just that...an estimate. And...any website that uses Flash will suck battery power quicker.

If you're that dissatisfied, please, PLEASE, take it back and switch to WinDoze.

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Not to mention that (at least in my experience) it always takes a new Mac a few days to get everything settled and indexed properly, in which time the system is using more power.

5. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

i haven't tested that.
    i guess ill wait for a few days just to check that out
    nothing just general surfing on safari nothing else at all
    The bottom of the laptop also becomes warm not hot but warm so is that normal?
    sorry i'm a first time mac user so don't know how things work here

6. Jackorias macrumors newbie

Jackorias

hey I got my new rMBP yesterday and the bottom of mine also gets a little warm occasionally, and the battery is more around the 6 hours mark I'd say, so it's not just you :) bare in mind, I've used it a total of about 6 hours so far!

7. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Your username is macfreak, you joined in 2012, and this is your first mac?

Odd.

8. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

First portable mac

----------

Does that mean it's normal or not?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Did you migrate much data to it.

If you migrated a load of data too it it will be indexing everything for spotlight for a while this is interrrupted and restarted if not allowed to finish. Plug it in and leave it on overnight. Then allow it to power down under 20% and charge up it'll get better I'm sure.

Unless you are constantly running chrome, that will kill your battery it is a dog on OSX and uses battery and cpu far beyond it's needs.

10. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

It's normal for the estimate to be inaccurate. It calculates it based on how many watts the computer is drawing at the moment versus the number of watt hours left in the battery. The wattage the computer draws will change as you use it, so the computer is constantly altering its estimate.

The only way to know for sure is to use it and see how long it lasts in real life. 6 hours would be normal under moderate conditions.

11. DeltaMac, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The case on your MBPro is aluminum, and is very good at dissipating a lot of heat. You can expect some areas to be warmer than others while you use it.
    So, hot spots are normal...
    BTW, Apple uses the phrase "up to 9 hours" - and then:

12. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh, maybe that's true. This just happened it takes around 5 seconds to boot and it takes around 20 seconds to shut down, is this normal? It wasn't happening before and there's nothing installed on it

Haven't migrated anything and not using Chrome

13. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Yes, this is normal. The "sandboxing" features of OS X slows down shutdown. Don't worry about it.

As to your concerns on battery life, don't beat a dead horse over the issue. As to concerns over your rMBP getting warm, keep in mind the CPU's are on the bottom of the motherboard. If you're looking at videos or anything that uses Flash, this will make the CPUs work harder, producing heat.

It sounds like your rMBP is working fine.

14. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Couldn't say, I always use sleep. I shut my MBP down maybe once every couple of months.
    How often do you need to actually shut down?

15. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Mine usually reports 6 hours battery. It probably gets around 7 hours so thats well within estimation.