New rMBP Came with Fingerprints on Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lopho, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Lopho macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    today I recived my new rMBP (not refurbished as it came in the original packaging with foil around it) and I've immediately noticed that the screen was covered with fingerprints. Now, is that normal? Don't like that...

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Did you buy from Apple or a 3rd party?

Also foil? I've never bought a mac that came wrapped in foil :confused:

Obviously not normal at all, every mac I've bought has had significant plastic wrapping that doesn't allow for the machine to be touched without it being painfully obvious (the tabs tear/don't stick back together again etc)

3. Lopho, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

Lopho thread starter macrumors newbie

With foil I actually meant the plastic wrapping around the box and yes it came from 3rd party but looks 100 % original...

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Then yes, it's possible someone fondled your machine.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

As Schtumple said, the rMBP itself should have been tightly wrapped in a plastic skin with multiple sticky tabs. Also, there should be a sticker seal that has to be broken to unwrap the unit. The exterior box could be re-shrink wrapped to match the original, but it's unlikely the rMBP itself could be re-packaged to match the original Apple wrapping.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Check the battery cycles, that may help to know if it is used or not

7. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Fingerprints? Thats not even a worthy problem to post about. Wipe them off. Problem solved.

8. byuister macrumors member

Could possibly be QA, although I've actually never heard of this happening before...

Here's an unboxing of the rMBP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwo8zHwg4P0

If you see any differences, you might want to be worried.

9. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Was the sticker on the plastic sleeve encasing the computer torn?

If not, someone at the factory probably just did a sloppy job are cleaning it before packaging it up.

10. intothepolis macrumors regular

I know I might get crap for this but if it were me I'd return it. That's not how a brand new computer should come.

11. Lopho thread starter macrumors newbie

no diffrences...

But I will probably just return it. thx so far!

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

For fingerprints? Really?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Return it because it has fingerprints? Don't be ridiculous please, if its perfect without any physical defects there is no need to return it.

Gosh there are some of us here like myself awaiting our 3rd replacement because we can't get one that doesn't have a cat piss yellow screen and there are people returning them for fingerprint smudges when everything else works? I'd kill to get your machine if that is the only problem.

14. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

its not the fingerprints but the fact that the fingerprints mean the machine has been messed with when its supposed to be brand new

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

But messed with in such a way that it compromises the machine's performance?

16. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I can kind of understand how the OP feels. My first 2012 15" rMBP came with a nose hair on the trackpad. It didn't affect the performance of the machine, but it definitely wasn't a nice thing to see upon opening it.

The battery in that computer was faulty so I got a replacement which luckily didn't have any nose hairs!

17. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

No nose hairs included with your replacement??? Aww Man!!!

18. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I don't even want to guess how you know it was a nose hair and not some other type of hair.

19. Acronyc macrumors 6502

It just had that special something that made me think it couldn't have come from anywhere else. I recorded an unboxing of it so it is well documented!

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not your money dude.

Again, not your money. If I'm spending that much money, I want to be certain it's in perfect condition. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When you spend your own money and see fingerprints on it, then you do whatever it is you wanna do.

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

In fairness, when a person posts about something on an internet forum, it's pretty much expected that people will respond to all aspects of the topic—especially when the original question posed on the subject has an obvious answer. (In this case, the only question was whether it's normal to have fingerprints on the screen—and obviously, the answer to that is no.)

22. IndoX macrumors regular

DO not return your machine until you've checked the active status of applecare/warranty on apple.com. If your machine's applecare was activated on the day you purchased it, then it's fine! If not, return it! Simple.

23. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I think you've missed the point. The OP is worried he didn't get a squeaky clean, brand new computer, but paid the squeaky clean, brand new price. Whether the warranty is intact is irrelevant.

24. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I'd love to see what happens when life really disappoints you.

25. Lopho, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

Lopho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for sharing your opinions but whatever... I don't pay so much money for a rMBP with an iPad sample like screen.