Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hey guys I just purchased a new rMBP and I came from a 2010 15" with an aftermarket installed SSD, I remember I had to turn off "put hard disks to sleep when possible" because there was no point with an SSD if I am correct right?

Also I remember having to delete the sleepimage file/change hibernation code. I believe it freed up a bunch of space but is it needed for these newer machines? I mean why would they ask to put the hard disks to sleep when possible for an SSD, I would not want the HD to turn off if I am downloading something as well.

Thanks guys!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The default energy setting checks that put drive to sleep box, so I am going to assume Apple knew what they were doing. But to be honest, I have tinkered around with it checked and unchecked and I am not convinced it does anything either way on my 2013 MBA.

Mavs handles those images differently and does not use as much space as before. I would not mess with it.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
The default energy setting checks that put drive to sleep box, so I am going to assume Apple knew what they were doing. But to be honest, I have tinkered around with it checked and unchecked and I am not convinced it does anything either way on my 2013 MBA.

Mavs handles those images differently and does not use as much space as before. I would not mess with it.

Well what about file indexing and getting those loaded up every startup? Wasn't there a way to bypass that?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

Is this true? So would 16GB RAM not take a 16GB sleep image file like it has in the past?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well that is good to know. So don't have to delete the sleep image file anymore?:p

Correct. From what I read, the size is about 1GB. Regardless of how much RAM you have. No wonder people are gaining so much drive space when they install Mavericks.

Time Less

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
I would leave hibernation at default (3). I just got the new r13 and changed it to 0 and deleted the sleep image to save space. Turns out the machine does not sleep correctly. I had nearly 90% before I closed the lid, the next day it was down to about 10%. I reverted back and all is well again. To save space I disabled local time machine image instead.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
I would leave hibernation at default (3). I just got the new r13 and changed it to 0 and deleted the sleep image to save space. Turns out the machine does not sleep correctly. I had nearly 90% before I closed the lid, the next day it was down to about 10%. I reverted back and all is well again. To save space I disabled local time machine image instead.

So even with the revert back to normal did you change hibernation to 0 or just leaving it all stock? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.