New rMBP energy saver/ssd/sleep image questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Texxy, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Hey guys I just purchased a new rMBP and I came from a 2010 15" with an aftermarket installed SSD, I remember I had to turn off "put hard disks to sleep when possible" because there was no point with an SSD if I am correct right?

Also I remember having to delete the sleepimage file/change hibernation code. I believe it freed up a bunch of space but is it needed for these newer machines? I mean why would they ask to put the hard disks to sleep when possible for an SSD, I would not want the HD to turn off if I am downloading something as well.

Thanks guys!

2. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The default energy setting checks that put drive to sleep box, so I am going to assume Apple knew what they were doing. But to be honest, I have tinkered around with it checked and unchecked and I am not convinced it does anything either way on my 2013 MBA.

Mavs handles those images differently and does not use as much space as before. I would not mess with it.

4. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well what about file indexing and getting those loaded up every startup? Wasn't there a way to bypass that?

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Is this true? So would 16GB RAM not take a 16GB sleep image file like it has in the past?

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I have a friend that said they fixed the size.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yup, just spent a few minutes on Google searching this. It's true. Good to hear!

8. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well that is good to know. So don't have to delete the sleep image file anymore?:p

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Correct. From what I read, the size is about 1GB. Regardless of how much RAM you have. No wonder people are gaining so much drive space when they install Mavericks.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you talking about Spotlight?

11. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Correct I am, but before I was talking about the sleepimage file. Now spotlight

12. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

I would leave hibernation at default (3). I just got the new r13 and changed it to 0 and deleted the sleep image to save space. Turns out the machine does not sleep correctly. I had nearly 90% before I closed the lid, the next day it was down to about 10%. I reverted back and all is well again. To save space I disabled local time machine image instead.

13. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

So even with the revert back to normal did you change hibernation to 0 or just leaving it all stock? :)

14. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

Hibernation is back at 3.

15. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Sounds good thank you all for the replies :)