New rMBP - First Time Battery Charge Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jul 18, 2012.

1. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hi,

I got my rMBP today and my first laptop. I would like to know what is the preferred way of charging the battery? For how long should it be charged? Should I charge it after the computer is shut down, or it doesn't matter and it can be on?

Thank you very much.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plug it in and fully charge it the first time you use it. After that, run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. voidpresence macrumors member

voidpresence

battery

as GGJstudios said, plug it in anytime you can, but make sure it uses battery (down to about 10-20%) at last once a month

4. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

To be honest even if the first charge did make a difference it would be negligibly insignificant when you consider the life of the machine. Just plug it in and charge it to full and use it as you normally would and charge it whenever you are running low on battery.