New rMBP hinge cover has give in center -- normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forgetcolor, Nov 3, 2013.

1. forgetcolor macrumors member

Brand new rMBP 15"/2.6/16GB/1TB/750m.

The black hinge cover has a bit of give in the center. I first noticed when picking up the laptop from the backside (e.g. opposite the divot in the case where you open the lid). Thumb on the display, hands on the bottom, opposite the divot, and you notice that that cover squeezes a bit. It's as if it sags a little in the center, and when you squeeze it it compresses closer to the top of the display where it should lie. It makes a little noise when you do so. The distance is small for sure, but noticeable.

Nothing else about the hinge appears problematic. It's tight (much tighter than my old 2010 MBP), holds in place, etc. I'm guessing this is just about the hinge cover itself.

Anyone else seeing this? I'm trying to figure out if it's an anomaly or typical. If typical, then fine. If indicative of a problem, then I'd prefer to send back and get another.

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

No, not normal.

I've seen 1 out of 5 that did this. That being said, I dont think it is indicative of a problem that will get worse in the future.

3. forgetcolor thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. So I'm guessing from the lack of other responses that most others aren't seeing this loose hinge cover either?

4. Not That Future macrumors newbie

I've had the same model for 10 days now, except a 2.3 CPU, and just noticed that very issue. Upgrading from a 2006 MBP with an unusable hinge mechanism, so I can't complain too much, but my new rMBP has the same soft spot in the middle of the hinge-cover like yours...

It merely seems like there isn't any glue holding it down in the middle. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. LostAggie macrumors 6502

Mine has this issue and the display models at the Apple store all seemed to have to some varying degree. I wouldn't worry about it...

6. toneLA macrumors regular

Had the same thing on an Air. Think it's fairly common.

7. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

4 out of 5 that I tested were 100% completely firm with no budge at all. Only 1 had "give" in the middle that created a creaking noise.

If it were me - if everything else about my machine was perfect, I may just keep it (for fear of getting a worse screen). But if the screen had issues or there was creaking elsewhere on the body, I would definitely return it.

8. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

You guys lol
    How do you come
    Up with some of these issues

9. Breedlove macrumors regular

When you pay so much for a chunk of metal, you tend to notice every little thing!

10. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

My first one that I just returned due to some light cosmetic damage had the same slight give in the back center strip. The ones I've tried at the Apple store felt solid. Hoping that my replacement has no flex!