New rMBP - horribly slow email - wipe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diane143, May 29, 2015.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Just got my 13" rMBP yesterday and started to set it up. Decided not to do a migrate as I am coming from a 2008 unibody that had been migrated from an iBook and upgraded a few times.

Copied 3 email accounts using instructions found on discussions.apple. That didn't work until I rebuilt the mailboxes, but I still have issues.

The IMAP account is not showing any emails in my subfolders (except one). In hindsight I should've set that one up fresh and let it sync. It had been a long day and I wasn't thinking I guess. I tried to delete it, but it won't let me.

The other two accounts are POP, but different names on the same domain. One of them refuses to connect, the other is on and off. I've put in a trouble ticket as I was also having issues connecting to cpanel.

The "On My Mac" folders are not populating either, so I suppose I'll need to export/import them.

Emails on all accounts take a long time to open and sometimes time out.

Otherwise I've installed Illy 6 and Excel 2011. Impressed with their speed.

I actually thought of wiping the entire machine back to factory. Is this possible without losing the apps that came with it?

Else I'd like to blow out all the emails and setup the accounts from start, and export/import the boxes.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks - Diane

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Have you checked out Mail Activity from the Window Menu (Window > Activity) -- are there processes in there that never complete?

3. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have not checked that yet. I would really like to delete the IMAP account and set it up again so it syncs correctly.

I can check in an hour or so.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

If you did wipe the machine you would need to install all 3rd party apps you've installed since setting up the machine.

Another alternative at this point might be to use migration assistant to migrate only the your user or mail data. Your intuitions of not migrating everything from an older machine were good though :D Nothing worse than seeing people with a brand new machine and data that clearly was created with PPC apps.

5. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stumbled on my old thread while looking for another.....

I was never able to get the original IMAP (Exchange account) to fully sync on the rMPB. Eventually most of the subfolders populated, though I was always "missing" some old ones. I could always see things on the web browser or the old MB. That said, it was certainly useable. I knew I was going to leave that job though and decided not to worry about it. I just had to remember that when I was cleaning up my emails, that I had to look on the web side and the old MB email to make sure I had everything.