New rMBP memory HOG? Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasonm654, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jasonm654 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and not very knowledgeable of what is / is not normal when it comes to memory usage in OSX Mountain Lion. For this reason, I was hoping to get an opinion from one of you who is.

[​IMG]

My rMBP is a 15.4 inch 2.6 ghz i7 with 16 gb RAM and 512 gb SSD. As you see in the image above, I don't have many programs running, and I am still using nearly 7gb of memory. I began monitoring it and realized it seemed (unusually) high when I got a "low memory" warning while running Logic Pro 9 - I maybe only had 2 or 3 other programs open at that time.

I know I still have more than half of my memory left, but it just seems ridiculous that I'm using 7 gb of memory with such low activity. I know the Activity monitor gives a break down what's using what, but I don't really understand the purpose of each task, nor how much memory each task is SUPPOSE to be using. Is it possible my computer has a bug? Should I be concerned? Should I take it to the apple store and let a genius look at it? Should I reformat? Or is mountain lion just a frickin memory hog?

Thank you in advance for any advice given!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't look like you have a problem to me.

(on a different topic, please use TIMG tags)

4. leman macrumors 604

Yeah, it looks perfectly ok. You have 0 page-outs, which means that there is no RAM swapping.

5. Xenn0X macrumors regular

osx is good in using ram when available even when it's not needed but do not worry.
    as long it does'nt swap your golden:)

6. jasonm654 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all the replies!! Very helpful!