New rMBP Mid-2014 15" 64% Battery Capacity!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tulsidasji, Sep 26, 2014.

1. tulsidasji, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

tulsidasji macrumors member

I just bought a macbook pro, its about less than a month old. i checked its battery capacity and its only holding 64% of the design capacity. I know battery capacity usually fluctuates but this is too low right? especially for a new Mac. Any idea why? i am however scheduled with Apple Genius tomorrow

[​IMG]

UPDATE: BestBuy wont even take return or replacement because its out of their return policy.I went to the apple store for genius appointment. They ran some tests. they came up with these results.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue: Service battery alert.
    Steps to Reproduce: Updated OS, Ran MRI, battery failed testing. Apple Diagnostic reported PPT002 reran MRI, with the guests power adapter same alert issued. Ran NAD, battery failed testing, Adapter passed testing.
    Cosmetic Condition: No visible damage
    Proposed Resolution: Replace top case assembly, MLB
    Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days

Now i have to wait for my mac for 5 business days while they replace the top case assembly (logic board seems faulty according to them). Now I can't call it a "new Mac"

2. michikade macrumors regular

michikade

With only 16 cycles that seems way low. That may be something worthy of the Genius Bar for testing.

I have well over 200 cycles on my mid-2012 model and am still at or slightly over design capacity depending on the day I check (it fluctuates). Your battery should not be at 64% design capacity this soon.

3. EOB macrumors regular

Yes that seems like something is wrong. I have had my macbook for about a little over a month. I have only lost 3.6% of my battery capacity with 39 cycle counts. I used the data from "system report"

4. tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

I think so as well! it shows the same capacity in system report

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Never use any crap from FIPLAB. They are the same company that made Memory Clean. Memory Clean is complete bull#! Not only does it shove ads in your face, the memory "clean" is a complete lie. How it works is when you do a "clean", it actually just hogs up your memory forcing Mavericks to deallocate memory from other things. Think of it as a bulb/balloon that inflates and squeezes down the other memory.

NEVER use ANY GARBAGE from FIPLAB. I can't believe it was in the top apps by Apple!!! :mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

Also you have a new computer so it is probably not fully calibrated. Don't worry about this. You can calibrate your battery if you want.

My mid-2009 MacBook Pro battery with 822 cycles has just about the same health as appears on yours.

6. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Wrong!

The battery does not need calibration in new Macs. Your laptop is 5 years old so a comparison is also wrong.

There is definitely something wrong. Check in system profile to confirm the max capacity. As an example, my mid 2014 is two months old with 23 cycles and the battery health is still 103%

7. vjobs macrumors regular

Absolutely something wrong, my 15" rMBP 2014 still has 104% battery capacity after 26 cycles. Take it to Apple Genius.

8. tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

I'm taking it today, I hope they just replace the Mac for a new one. I doubt it but it would be awsome

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

10. vjobs macrumors regular

That would be great :)!

But I think, unless you bought your Mac less than 14 days ago, they'll not replace your MacBook Pro retina, but they'll put a new battery.
    Look at the bright side; it saves you the effort of making a backup, and restoring from the backup on the new rMBP. ;)

Depending on your disk usage, backing up and restoring may take a few hours, and a battery replacement takes less than 15 minutes.

11. tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

Whoo! That sounds good because I don't have much time after that since I have to go to work too! I don't need any backup as well since it's new and I don't care if it's wiped. Now the only problem is that I've wiped the OSX from the ssd and my wifi is too slow to re download mavericks, hope apple store can do that for me. The Mac is currently in recovery mode lol

12. vjobs macrumors regular

Good! When did you buy your Mac?
    In all Apple Stores there's free (high-speed) WiFi, so you can download and reinstall OS X there. To reinstall, press cmd + R when starting your Mac, and it wil show an option to Install OS X. :)

13. tulsidasji, Sep 27, 2014

tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

I bought it at Best Buy now they won't take a return since it's after their 15 day return policy :( Got the install done at apple store. They took the Mac in for repair, 3-5 business days!! The battery showed as faulty but also the logic board might be faulty as we'll, it reports the battery as faulty and the adapter. The adapter was tested individually and came out to be working fine. So the "Genius" diagnosed that maybe the logic board is faulty. Now my brand new Mac will be opened and the whole freaking top case will be replaced. Now I can't call my Mac new! I'm losing in this one I guess. I am quite disappointed.

----------

UPDATE: BestBuy wont even take return or replacement because its out of their return policy.Apple wont replace it either.I went to the apple store for genius appointment. They ran some tests. they came up with these results.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue: Service battery alert.
    Steps to Reproduce: Updated OS, Ran MRI, battery failed testing. Apple Diagnostic reported PPT002 reran MRI, with the guests power adapter same alert issued. Ran NAD, battery failed testing, Adapter passed testing.
    Cosmetic Condition: No visible damage
    Proposed Resolution: Replace top case assembly, MLB
    Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days

Now i have to wait for my mac for 5 business days while they replace the top case assembly (logic board seems faulty according to them). I guess i cant call it a "New Mac" anymore.

14. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

So you said.

I don't want to marginalize your problem, but MacBook Pros are man-made devices and thus, never entirely perfect. The units with flaws have to land somewhere, and you just happened to receive one. Apple is doing the right thing; you can be disappointed all you like, but it won't change the fundamental truth that you received a MBP with a bad component. The situation wouldn't be any different if you'd received a bad Dell, a bad HP, or a bad anything else.

15. tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you mean. The disappointment is because it's a quite an expensive product, as this is a significant portion of my money I have to spend, it just frustrates me that the Mac came in faulty like that.

16. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

the thing with faulty battery is acceptable, because batteries used to failed all the time, but stupid thing is that apple glued it to entire half of the laptop, so if battery fails, they swap every component to new case - that means lot of work and due to that huge potential to human fail during repair process... if battery will be hold in place just with screws it will take no longer than half of hour to change battery an have computer ready

I will never accept that some "genius" tear my brand new laptop apart and then put it into new case with new battery...maybe after few years when casing will have lot of damage, but absolutely not after few days of use

17. tulsidasji thread starter macrumors member

You just explained my fustration. Thank you. I even requested to get a new replacement, but nope, Bestbuy won't do it, nor would apple. I guess I will be stuck with a new Mac that was opened and who knows what problems will that cause in the future

18. EOB macrumors regular

Yea it really sucks, I really wished apple's repair services were at least like dell's. When I used to have an Alienware Laptop I had to get my dvd-drive replaced, so every time something went wrong instead of sending in your computer, they would send someone to your house within 2-3 days to repair your computer in front of you.

Dell provided some of the best customer service I have had for computers in general.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Of course you will get onsite service if it is provided and costed into their model. You still paid for it...interesting that you say "every time", how often did it go wrong?? LOL

20. EOB, Sep 27, 2014

EOB macrumors regular

Just once,haha. I still have the AW and it has been two years since I got it. I haven't had any other problems with it, other than getting the dvd-drive replaced, but I replaced it with a HDD caddy a while back.

I have already had to take my rMBP 15 to apple... and I have only had it for a little over a month...

Actually it was way cheaper than a rMBP 13 at the time and best of all it was only 1300usd. The onsite repair is included in all their models for the first year if I remember.
    the specs I had on it were
    -i7
    -16gb ram
    -GT 650M (dedicated gpu)
    -256gb ssd

Reason I switched to a rMBP was for portability and battery life. I do not game as much as I used to, plus I have a custom desktop for gaming, so I dont really need a powerful laptop anymore.