New rMBP on the way... few questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David T., Aug 23, 2014.

1. David T. macrumors member

Hey folks,

I finally pulled the trigger on a new 13' rMBP (2.4/8/256) and it's on it's way (Monday or Tuesday). Also ordered a WD 500GB Passport external drive and two 16GB Cruzer Extreme flash drives.

I'm new to Mac, so I'm sorry for any stupid questions and asking questions that have been asked before. But, I've done a lot of reading, and there is so much info in here that it starts getting confusing. So I hoping to get what I "think" I need in one thread... for now. :D

Anyhow, here's my plan once I get it. Please critique, or add any tips or tricks...

Obviously, get it up and running and connected to the Internet. I have a new Airport Extreme already running, so I'm not expecting any issues there.

Once it's up and running I plan on downloading and installing the OS X Recovery Assistant and creating an external Recovery flash drive.

Next step will be to download any additional software I think I will want to try... maybe Firefox and Chrome browsers. Probably AppCleaner and a couple of other apps.

Then I plan on going through all the System and individual Program preferences and get them set the way I want.

When I have everything the way I want (or at least close), I will use Disk Utility to format the WD external drive. After that, start up Time Machine and do a full backup.

I plan on turning Time Machine off after the first backup and only turn it back on when I think I need a new backup. The machine is going to be used mostly for pleasure... Web surfing, Email, a little photo editing (not much) and some general stuff. So, in case of something going bad, I can boot back up and at least restore the latest backup I have, or even just re install Mavericks. I only have a few spreadsheets and documents to maintain. I plan on keeping them on the flash drive and maybe on ICloud. Any other software I can just re-download it and re-install it, or am I missing something?

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why would you need AppCleaner? The think you will find that most Mac owners do not have or use any of the "cleaner" apps or anti-virus apps.

What is the benefit of turning it off after the initial backup? I run TM and its dedicated drive whenever my Macbook is on the desktop and powered up. I never have to remember to turn it back on.

4. David T. thread starter macrumors member

To "completely" remove any installed apps that I don't want? Reading around a bit, it seems to be a highly recommended app for MAC. Again, I'm new to MAC's, so maybe it's something I don't need.

The external drive is an electronic/mechanical device. I would think the using it only occasionally would extend the life?

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Not so much. Folks with Time Capsules that have 2TB, 3TB or 4TB internal drives leave them running 24/7 for years. Having the TM drive up and running 24/7 keeps you ready to restore from sometime that day or the previous day...etc. ....not from the last time you remember to plug in the TM drive.

6. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Well, I will certainly consider doing it more often. Still, the WD drive I'm getting is pretty inexpensive and is not in the same class as a Time Capsule... at least I would think it isn't. However, if I understand the technology behind Time Machine, after the initial backup, subsequent backups are only of the changes/additions to the computer. So, in my case, it's probably not going to spend a lot of time backing up on a machine that's not going to change much once it's setup and everything I want is on it.

I just don't want it to do 200 backups of the basically the same stuff, and then if and when I do need it... it is toast. Again though, nothing "critical" will be on the machine. As long as I have a boot drive and can re-install the OS, I can download all the other stuff. It will just be more time consuming.

Thanks for your input.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm not really sure this is necessary. You can use internet recovery if you ever need to do a clean install of OSX.

I'd skip AppCleaner, it isn't really necessary.

Just use Time Machine and leave it on. After the inital image, it just does incremental backups that capture any changes you've made.

I have my external drive plugged into the USB port on my AirPort Extreme and it is able to backup wirelessly. I'm not sure if this function works on the newer AirPort Extreme units.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

AppCleaner lets you remove apps that you otherwise would not be able to, if you want to.

For example, I have no need for iTunes on my laptop but can use the 355 MB it takes up.

9. David T. thread starter macrumors member

I'm confused... I thought the bootable recovery drive had Safari on it so you could connect to the internet in case there is some sort of major problem with the OS? Not just a clean install?

I believe it works on the newer AirPort Extremes. I just watched a YouTube video explaining how to do it.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If that is the functionality you're looking for, the bootable recovery drive would do the trick. Another option would be a lightweight distribution of Linux on a USB drive.

Either way, the chance of your New rMBP failing in such a way that you'd need to boot off of a USB drive to access the internet is pretty low.

11. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like I pretty much have my ducks in a row... with maybe a little overkill. :D

Thanks again for your help.

12. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

The OP should have bought a time capsule instead of the external usb and airport. Then set and forget, that's whole point!

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can get essentially the same functionality with an AirPort Extreme and an external HDD while still saving a little money. I've had mine backing up this way for years.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

15. David T. thread starter macrumors member

16. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

No Chrome and full time on Timee Machine. When you think you need Time Machine is never when you really do need it.

17. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

For the web browser I'd highly recommend you stay with Safari, you can export and import your bookmarks to Safari :)

A lot of reports showing Safari uses less power, give it a go! I only use Chrome as my second browser if I need to test something etc...

18. David T. thread starter macrumors member

I will have several browsers on the machine. If a page doesn't work with one, I can try another. Opera is actually my favorite browser on Windows machines.

Safari will be my first choice, especially when working unplugged.

19. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

When I first got my mac (my first mac) I used chrome right away, as this was what all my work PCs (windows) where based around, and as great as it is (was) I realised that safari just worked better with osx, when you go apple, you really need to embrace their stuff.

I removed chrome after a few months, also after I realised it has no retina display support (still doesn't!), and after learning my way through safari I like it just fine. I still use chrome in win8.1 though.

Now that Google Apps are all web based it is irrelevant what browser I use, but chrome does play nice in Windows with orderless app windows etc which I appreciate but pixel doubling is LONG overdue...

20. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

The Recovery HD and the Internet Recovery are the same as a Recovery on your usb stick. They have safari and disk utility and stuff.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

At home I always plug external HD and leave it for Time Machine. I used to bring it with me when I go anywhere but now not anymore I leave it at home so I come home and plug it daily. :apple:

22. pragmatous macrumors 65816

regardless of how you use it I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. You don't need an anti-virus program it'll just cause your mac to crash anyway. :p

You really don't need to buy any apps to get rid of apps. Of course that's up to you. Do what you feel is best for your needs. I can't tell you what your needs are only mine.

But ya enjoy it it's awesome. Definitely get the time capsule. I just got one myself and it's awesome. I got the 2TB one. I use it as my router as well.

I'm an engineer so I over complicated the install but it's actually pretty easy once I realize how easy it is heh.

23. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

One more thing with Time Machine--if you only plug in occasionally, you'll have larger backups which take longer. If you just let it do it's thing, you'll have frequent, smaller backups that are done so quick you don't even notice them. For instance, let's say I go for a 10 days without backing up. The size of the backup will be somewhere around 20gb, even with very light usage on my end. If it's working on it's own, backup sizes are more like a few mb (unless I've recently imported photos or something), and I don't even notice the backup process.
    Set it and forget it. Enjoy your new machine.

24. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I you want more control over when Time Machine backs up, I highly recommend TimeMachineEditor.

25. AnonDP macrumors member

Wow, you have certainly got quite a plan in place.

I simply bought it and went wherever the wind may take me. You will soon realise what you need.