Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I have a question... I've had my 2010 MBA for a few years now (2.13, 4gb ram, 256gb hd). Would upgrading to a new 13in rMBP (i5 2.5, 8gb ram, 256gb hd) be worth it? Would I see a significant performance increase?

I don't use my laptop for much more than watching HD movies, browsing web, light editing of pics via iPhoto, and sometimes some gaming.

My main reason for considering the upgrade is mostly hardware and connectivity with the 13" rMBP, especially the display, HDMI, and USB3. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I have a question... I've had my 2010 MBA for a few years now (2.13, 4gb ram, 256gb hd). Would upgrading to a new 13in rMBP (i5 2.5, 8gb ram, 256gb hd) be worth it? Would I see a significant performance increase?

I don't use my laptop for much more than watching HD movies, browsing web, light editing of pics via iPhoto, and sometimes some gaming.

My main reason for considering the upgrade is mostly hardware and connectivity with the 13" rMBP, especially the display, HDMI, and USB3. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Yes you would see huge performance gains. The processor, the ram, and ssd are all faster. Under normal usage it will appear the same but processing video or photos will make a difference.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
How is your current performance? Does it stutter? I would expect to see some of these improvements filter down through the line in future revisions. Some of the ultrabook makers have included IPS at lower price points. You may see a nicer display on the 2013. Overall I think they like to upgrade things not related to performance on years when the spec bumps themselves are a little softer. The last thing is, if your current machine is operating fine, I would wait rather than purchase a first generation product. Every time Apple comes out with a new design, the second generation has been a very noticeable improvement over the first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.