Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Hello all, I've searched but can't seem to find anything definitive. I will be a brand new convert to the Apple world from PC and plan on purchasing a MBP. My dilemma is which is a better option? I can purchase a non retina MBP for $899 and bump the memory to 8GB and add a 256gb SSD to bring the total cost to around $1150. Or I can purchase a rMBP with 8GB and a 256 SSD for $1350. Would the retina display and newer i5 chip set be worth the added cost? Besides basic use I will also use this machine for Hi Def video and photo editing. Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts.

ecmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Which non-retina are you thinking of purchasing?

Beware of the 2011 15" MBPs with the Radeon graphics.

It would be the new version that Apple is still selling... So it seems everyone is pretty set that its a worthwhile upgrade. How about long term viability? From what I understand Apples seem to age a little more gracefully than PC's so maybe it isn't as relevant but will it be an issue 4-5 years down the road when I would be stuck at 8GB on the retina versus being able to upgrade to 16 on the older model? I wish I had the funds to just get a retina model with 16 right out of the gate but unfortunately the funds just aren't there.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
It would be the new version that Apple is still selling... So it seems everyone is pretty set that its a worthwhile upgrade. How about long term viability? From what I understand Apples seem to age a little more gracefully than PC's so maybe it isn't as relevant but will it be an issue 4-5 years down the road when I would be stuck at 8GB on the retina versus being able to upgrade to 16 on the older model? I wish I had the funds to just get a retina model with 16 right out of the gate but unfortunately the funds just aren't there.
I wasn't even sure Apple still sold non-retina MBPs. But I did see the one in Bestbuy flyer.

Yes, they non-retina models age a bit better than PCs.

You're on the right track about the retina models being not very upgradeable in terms of RAM and HD.

The screen is the big difference between the two models.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I wasn't even sure Apple still sold non-retina MBPs. But I did see the one in Bestbuy flyer.

Yes, they non-retina models age a bit better than PCs.

You're on the right track about the retina models being not very upgradeable in terms of RAM and HD.

The screen is the big difference between the two models.

???

One is Ivy Bridge, the other is Haswell.

The Haswell (rMBP) is newer technology and has better onboard graphics (Intel Iris 5100) and the Ivy Bridge has Intel 4000. The improvement will be most noticeable in video editing, something the OP wants to do.

ecmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
???

One is Ivy Bridge, the other is Haswell.

The Haswell (rMBP) is newer technology and has better onboard graphics (Intel Iris 5100) and the Ivy Bridge has Intel 4000. The improvement will be most noticeable in video editing, something the OP wants to do.

This is another factor I am unsure of. From my understanding CPU handles basically all of the video processing with the exception of certain high use applications in Photoshop? I guess basically I just want to make sure I get the most processing hardware for the money as opposed to a better screen or longer battery life if that makes any sense.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
This is another factor I am unsure of. From my understanding CPU handles basically all of the video processing with the exception of certain high use applications in Photoshop? I guess basically I just want to make sure I get the most processing hardware for the money as opposed to a better screen or longer battery life if that makes any sense.

The rMBP gives you more processing power, better battery life and a better screen. It's worth noting that applications like iMovie and Final Cut uses the GPUs via OpenCL. It is easily worth the extra $200

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Go retina for sure. Check out refurbs on apples site. You can get last years at a great discount, and apple refurbished computers are perfect. This years update was extremely minor, you won't even notice a difference in usage.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Retina, as others are saying. Quad core will really help here. Otherwise get the fastest CPU 13" you can afford and no less than 8GB of RAM (pretty sure you can't at this point).

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
Retina version, the ssd screams in retina since its using pci express instead of sata connection, the highest you can get on a single ssd on the non retina version is 500mb/sec while the retina will yield 960mb+ read and write

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Also, it depends on the HD video you are editing. Although it stretches (breaks?) your budget, an i7 and a dedicated GPU are really, really helpful. If you are a pro (i.e., getting paid for your work) then these are essential upgrades. But as everyone else here has said, the retina screen is essential!

ecmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for the help everyone. Not a professional user just like to take and edit videos of my various exploits! I ended up getting a rMBP with the 256 SSD from Best Buy last night. Had them match the B&H Photo price and couldn't be happier! Now I just have to learn all ins and outs of it!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Thanks for the help everyone. Not a professional user just like to take and edit videos of my various exploits! I ended up getting a rMBP with the 256 SSD from Best Buy last night. Had them match the B&H Photo price and couldn't be happier! Now I just have to learn all ins and outs of it!

If you're anywhere near an apple store, sign up for a free workshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.