New rMBP or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by screennameless, Jan 7, 2013.

  1. screennameless macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2013
    #1
    I'm considering getting a rMBP to replace my current desktop and laptop for most computing tasks; it would be my first Mac!

    My question is: should I go ahead and buy now, or wait until the 2013 refresh?

    Also, if I went ahead and bought now, would I likely be able to get a good resell price if I decide I want to upgrade when the refresh comes around?

    Thanks!
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait until Spring/Summer then wait. Haswell is not due out until April and who knows how long Apple will take to produce a Haswell based laptop.
     
  3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #3
    The upgrade is likely to have resolved screen IR issues, have Haswell, have 802.11ac, and it could be cheaper as well. IMO the last two issues would be the reason to wait (and are the reason I am waiting).

    If you buy new retail now, expect to take a $500 hit when the new model comes out, possibly more if Apple reduces the price. Remember they dropped the price by $300 on the 2nd gen MBA. And a spec upgrade (to say 500GB SDD standard) counts as a price drop too.

    ___
     
  4. bushido Suspended

    bushido

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    Germany
  5. DayVe3000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2012
    Location:
    England
    #5
    No one knows if/when Apple will refresh.

    If you've got the cash and want one enough - buy one! Im not the kind of guy to wait for the unknown.
     
  6. elchemor macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    Location:
    Abu Dhabi - UAE
    #6
    if you need one now, buy one now, if not, wait till 2020, there could be a much faster version.
     

Share This Page