Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screennameless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
I'm considering getting a rMBP to replace my current desktop and laptop for most computing tasks; it would be my first Mac!

My question is: should I go ahead and buy now, or wait until the 2013 refresh?

Also, if I went ahead and bought now, would I likely be able to get a good resell price if I decide I want to upgrade when the refresh comes around?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait until Spring/Summer then wait. Haswell is not due out until April and who knows how long Apple will take to produce a Haswell based laptop.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
The upgrade is likely to have resolved screen IR issues, have Haswell, have 802.11ac, and it could be cheaper as well. IMO the last two issues would be the reason to wait (and are the reason I am waiting).

If you buy new retail now, expect to take a $500 hit when the new model comes out, possibly more if Apple reduces the price. Remember they dropped the price by $300 on the 2nd gen MBA. And a spec upgrade (to say 500GB SDD standard) counts as a price drop too.

___

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
No one knows if/when Apple will refresh.

If you've got the cash and want one enough - buy one! Im not the kind of guy to wait for the unknown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.