New rMBP randomly freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webberade, Oct 25, 2013.

1. webberade macrumors member

webberade

Having an issue where my new 13" rMBP (mid range with 8gb) randomly freezes. It's very spontaneous and I can't seem to replicate it on my own. The only way to regain access to what I was previously doing is to put the computer to sleep and wake again - then everything is fine. I've tried repairing permissions and resetting the pram but still getting this random issue. When I initially set up the machine I transferred everything via usb hard drive so there shouldn't be any data migration problems.

I love my new pro - it really is an awesome machine (a much needed upgrade from my late 2008 15" pro) however I'm debating going back to the store for a genius appointment or just asking for a swap. Maybe this is an issue with a software or firmware update will be issued soon?

Any thoughts?

2. webberade thread starter macrumors member

webberade

3. drxcm macrumors regular

4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Same thing happening to me but seems like it might be Flash related

5. epoxide macrumors newbie

Yes, it seems to be a common issue (keyboard and trackpad freezing) and it has happened to me twice within 24 hours of buying the new mid-range 13" rMBP. I really hope it's not a hardware issue. Everyone who is having this issue should post in the Apple Support Forums thread mentioned in the 3rd post, and submit a bug report to Apple or call AppleCare, so that they fix this ASAP before our 14-day return period expires.

6. stevemiller macrumors 65816

I think it's a mavericks issue not a hardware problem. It's happening on my 2011 mbp.

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Classic case of the old "Point Zero Blues". Seems that something like this crops up every time a new version of OS X is released, which is why so many people avoid 10.x.0 like the plague.

The thing that gets me is, with this being a relatively widespread phenomenon, did all those weeks/months of beta testing never reveal this issue, or did Apple choose to push Mavericks through regardless in order to stick to their timeline?

8. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Other than forum gossip, and conspiracy types, who cares as long as it gets fixed??

9. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Point taken, burgman! :D

10. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Always surprising how much stuff doesn't get caught and/or dealt with until post launch. After effects would not run on mavericks at all until Adobe issued a hot fix the following morning. Not sure if nobody at adobe bothered to test their software until release day, or more likely, that the issue was known and they had the fix ready but didn't push it out beforehand in case something else broke prior to release.

Anyway, between app nap and memory compression, there's plenty of new stuff going on under the hood that could introduce instability I would imagine. I mostly just wanted to offer some hope to new purchasers that it probably wasn't their brand new hardware that was at fault!

11. Omnirai macrumors member

Are there people that already did bootcamp windows 7 or 8 on their new haswell retina macbook pro 13"?

If so, have you experienced these keyboard + trackpad freezes ?

12. tinmeigut macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I bought mine on 23rd Oct. and returned the first unit due to cosmetic issues. Now this second unit has frozen twice already, once just now and the other time 2 days ago. Kinda hope this really has to do with Mavericks though - I don't want to exchange for a 3rd unit :(

13. NowConverted macrumors member

What were you doing when these freeze happened? Where you using some particular software or just Safari? Were you in any specific website?

BTB, sorry to hear that, I'm waiting for mine so hopefully is "just" a software issue and they'll fix it soon!

14. tinmeigut, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

tinmeigut macrumors newbie

I was using Safari when both freezes happened. The first time I was on Apple's website with my cursor on the "Mac" tab (kinda ironic lol); the second time I was on MacRumors.

And yeah I really hope it's something to do with the software. Apple's always been happy to exchange units, but my experience tells me there's no guarantee a new one is any better, both cosmetics-wise and hardware-wise.

15. ocelot12 macrumors newbie

it is definitely a software issue I thought also it could be a hardware failure and changed my laptop after 10min same problem!