New rMBP - restarting by itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Mercurian, Feb 11, 2014.

1. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I have a new rMBP 13"- few days old.
    Twice whilst in use it went blank and restarted itself. I thought meh ok lets see.

just now I am in the other room and I heard the feint sound of apple restart noise - looked in - the laptop is closed and sohuld be sleeping. I thought "oh maybe it is next door or something. Then it happened twice more in 15 mins. so I turned on the machine. The grey boot up screen came up for about 2 seconds before flicked to normal login screen.

Any ideas what might cause this behaviour ? SMC issue ? What can I check myself ? Mac store is 2 hours drive away and I would not go near the more local reseller/service shop if they were paying me.

2. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Many thanks all for the sage advice.....

An SMC reset seems to have fixed it.

3. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

The plot thickens.
    The SMC reset did not fix in fact.

What did seem to fix it was plugging out my Plantronics wireless headset receiver from the USB port. Weird. Anyone heard of Plantronics headsets causing system instability ?

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I don't know the headset but I've had this happening mostly when external drives are plugged in, and sometimes just restarts after being woken from sleep. Many others have had the problem, there's a thread about it here somewhere. I did all the resets, and have talked to Apple Support. Most think it is a Mavericks issue. Let's hope the next update fixes it.

5. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

I have a similar issue. Seems to be tied to the sleep-wake and I usually get an error when it restarts. After all my research, I submitted a bug report to apple for Mavericks and hope they will cover it in a future release. Only happens a few times a month, and aside from the intro sound, it isn't terrible.

6. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I get it as well. If I close the lid and go about my business, I've heard the computer boot while presumably, asleep. It only happens when the laptop is closed though so I'm obviously not using it for anything at the time. It will get fixed in time I'm sure.

7. The Mercurian thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah interesting to know. Thanks folks

It has only happened once since and that was with the USB thing plugged into the other USB port. Anyhow I'm happy enought it not something I need to bring back to the shop at this point