New rMBP slow to login screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 13, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Whenever my new rMBP goes to sleep (I assume its asleep because the screen goes back) and I try to use it again, there is a black screen for about 20-30 seconds when I can't do anything before the login screen appears. Is this normal?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

You could try disabling the "sleep image", by turning off the "hibernate mode".

Instructions from my archives follows:
    ========================
    The update may have switched sleep mode to 'Safe Sleep'

to check which mode is active, open a Terminal window and type in

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

==============================
    0= old style sleep (fast)
    3= new (save to disk style, takes more time)

Great, so your machine is using mode 3, whatever that might be. Well, thanks to the documentation for the handy Deep Sleep Dashboard widget, which puts your machine immediately into hibernation mode (so you don’t have to yank all the power sources to invoke it), we can tell exactly which mode is which:

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.
    1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.
    3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.
    5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences -> Security).
    7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory.

How to SET the sleep mode

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    (substitute 0, 1, 3, 5, 7 as desired)

How to REMOVE the sleep image
    Two commands

cd /var/vm
    sudo rm sleepimage