New rMBP user, need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kulfon, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Kulfon macrumors regular

Hello community,
    I am new to Mac system. Have a question. I have downloaded several apps on top of what I had by default - Skype and VLC player. What I see is that I get a drive-looking thing on my desktop for both Skype and VLC. Strange.

Also, can you guide me to shortcuts that will hep operate Mac? Like see all windows that are active, switch between active windows, etc.

Thank you!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Basically on OS X, most installers are mounted as volumes. Similar icon to when you plug in a pendrive. Things like iso files (or .dmg files as you'd more commonly find on OS X) will also do the same thing. All you need to do is highlight them and drag them to the Trash (the Trash icon will change to an Eject icon), or right-click them and click 'Unmount'.

Remember not to run the application from those volumes as they're almost 'virtual' - if you want to permanently have the apps then you'll have to drag to the Applications folder.

These are most of the installers you'll encounter. Other installers such as for Office have a more familiar Windows theme, wherein you click next, install, type in password to authorise, etc ...

Shortcuts

Cmd+Tab to switch between applications
    Cmd+Q to close

The Tab/Q are next to each other on the keyboard so you can see how efficently you can quickly move between apps and close them (unlike Alt+F4 on Windows).

Remember if you press the red x at the top left, that only closes the window and not the application. On Windows all the File menus are pinned to the window itself. On OS X the menus stay at the top all the time, so you can quickly see which application you're always in. It's much less confusing once you've got the hang of it.

I agree with the poster above though, get watching some YouTube videos. Also go into Trackpad settings in System Preferences as there are a number of videos outlining some really cool gestures you can do to make the most out of it. There are loads of great swiping/four finger gestures that are buttery.

Hope you enjoy your new Mac!

4. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

EDIT: Yeah, what keysofanxiety said above, basically.

I don't know if you were used to opening (mounting) .iso files and other virtual disk images in Windows, but looking at those things that pop up on your desktop like isos helped me get a grasp on their usage.

"Mount" the installer and drag the app within to your Applications folder, done.
    "Dismount" installer by dragging it to where the Trash Bin sits, or just press CMD+E

Delete an app by dragging it to your Trash Bin.
    -some apps have a dedicated uninstaller, but they are usually few and far between.

If you want to see all active windows, use Mission Control.
    Mission Control is usually activated by swiping three fingers up on the trackpad or pressing ...F3, I think.
    -use CMD+TAB to quickly swap between active windows.

General tips:

Spotlight:
    If you want to quickly open a specific app or ...anything on your Mac, really.
    Press CMD+SPACE and start typing, press enter when the desired result pops up in the search field.

Hot Corners:
    Bind certain desktop functions to trigger when you move your mouse into the corners of the screen.
    Go into Settings and to Mission Control.
    I prefer to make the lower right corner clear away all windows and show the desktop, and the lower left corner open the Dashboard.

5. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

MASSIVE thank you to all - vey clean and very helpful!