New rMBP user, question re: lockups requiring hard power off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by *Sonic*, Oct 20, 2012.

1. *Sonic* macrumors newbie

Hi All

New here and new rMBP owner

Have an issue that has happened quite a number of times now over the last week

I have Chrome running with approx 12/13 tabs open (FB, Twitter, Email, few forum sites etc)

I have the Cosmos background image as my desktop image, and I have the cosmos set of pictures as a slideshow screensaver set to kick in after around 5 minutes with the screen off after 15 on power saving settings

What happens is after the 15 minutes I will click the trackpad / press a key to wake up the laptop and the screen will come back on and the screen saver will start to show then will freeze

At this point the cursor is still an arrow and can move around the screen and caps lock works. eventually though the cursor will turn to the spinning circle and nothing will restore the laptop.

At this point I have to physically power off the MB and power it back on

What I don't know is what causes it, whether it is software or hardware, or how I can troubleshoot the issue

I am a (forgive me LOL) an MCP, MCSA and MSCE so I know my windows stuff just not a clue with mac / osx stuff as I just tend to 'use it'

Cheers in advance

S

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

This is a known issue in Mountain Lion. It seems there's a glitch with the screen savers that cause them to freeze up like this.

There's no fix that I know of but do know you're not the only one it's happening to.

3. *Sonic* thread starter macrumors newbie

That's cool then if it is normal

I guess the answer is to not have a screen saver and just have the power settings for the screen to go off

4. skirmisser macrumors member

Can you run Activity Monitor and check "All Processes" or run "top -o cpu" in the terminal if you notice your machine behaving very slow (or hot)? Does kernel_task shoot up to 100%?

It may be related with this issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1460148

Also what OS X version are you using and what are your specs?

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I just set up a hot corner that will turn my display off if I put my mouse in the top right corner. I've been doing that for years and it's become a habit now.

6. *Sonic* thread starter macrumors newbie

Specs are

i7 2.6ghz 16Gb ram 256Gb SSD

running ML 10.8.2

When it locks I can't get into anything or run anything. One things I haven't tried is remote desktop to it when it locks to see if I can run anything like that

It doesn't happend all the time, but it does happen once or twice a day

I have noticed I do get a little screen tearing on the occasion, when I say screen tearing its sort of like if you look on a forum and someone has posted a screenshot (so you have a large square) its similar to seeing that when you scroll down a forum thread

Only it happens when there are no images posted and only happens on a forum when scrolling but not all the time and I cannot reproduce it