New rMBP where is my ML Copy? ^^

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushido, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

so i got my retina macbook pro the other week and obviously mountain lion was installed but i moved an time machine backup back from my old macbook pro and i was just wondering if i ever need to reinstall how i can get mountain lion. it isn't listed among my macstore purchases when i sign in. i only see iMovie and iPhoto there

do i have to pay for it even though my rmbp came with it?

2. mcb001982 macrumors regular

It's online in the app store, when you register the computer to your apple ID it will know that you own the software and allow you to download it for free.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Oh yeah, that way too :D

5. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

i think thats the issue because i "restored" from my old macbook it "thinks" I'm on my old macbook and not the retina macbook which came with ML installed. does that make sense?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

What to you mean by restored? Migration assistant? CCC?

7. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

when i first booted my new retina macbook it asked me if i want to migrate/move files from a different hard drive which i did. so it "restored" all my settings and files etc. from my old macbook pro

edit: i got two apple ids and i just checked the apple page and i see my macbook pro retina on the list but when i sign in with the same apple id at the mac store i don't see mountain lion nor iPhoto or iMovie

when i sign in with my other id from a different country (not reg. with the macbook pro retina) i see iPhoto and iMovie as "purchased" on the day i got my macbook retina but not mountain lion

so weird

8. Mac Write macrumors member

The "free" iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand are listed under purchases when you first boot your new Mac. Once you "Claim" them they are then tied to the Apple ID that you signed into the AppStore with (in this case your second apple ID has the iLife, while your first Apple ID your rMBP was registered with).

As for the second issue about no Mountain Lion recovery. The primary way to "clean" install with Mountain lion with a computer purchased with Mountain Lion is to backup your computer, then after pressing the power button, hold down Command+R to enter "Internet Recovery Mode" this will download the installer from Apple and do an Internet install.

Also if you have purchased a Mac after the AppStore was introduced and iLife wasn't included with new Macs, you have already claimed iLife and I don't think you can claim it twice from the Apple Store.
    I hope this was helpful.

9. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

i still dont get it, ive just tried it and i said there's no "lion" (NOT ML) copy linked to my ID and when i try to "purchase" it at the store it's telling me "this computer doesnt support mountain lion" :confused:

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You don't download it from the App store, you download a new copy of Mountain Lion when you use internet recovery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

11. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

had to download a pirated version :confused:

my old mbp doesnt support internet recovery and my new rmbp wont let me download ML from the store. keeps saying the system isnt supported like wth

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You don't download it from the Mac App Store.

When you powered on your rMBP for the first time, it led you through a series of questions and forms to fill out. One of them gave you the option to register your rMBP to an Apple ID.

When you use the Internet Recovery procedure that somebody posted the link to above, one of the steps in that process asks you to provide your Apple ID and password. This one has to be the same Apple ID that you used to register the rMBP during the first time that you powered it on.

After reading your responses here, I get the impression that you have not tried Internet Recovery at all at this point. :(

My recommendation to you is to call Apple Support on the phone and get them to help you. You should still be within your complementary phone support period if you did not get AppleCare, and if you did get AppleCare, phone support is free for the whole 3 years.

13. goMac macrumors 603

Your new Macbook Pro does not come with a copy of Mountain Lion for your old Macbook Pro. That's piracy.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn't a pirated version. You don't download ML from the App Store. On the newer Macs, as long as you have an Internet connection, you can reinstall the OS that it came with. You reboot and hold down CMD-R. It goes into a special diagnostic mode. By default, there is a hidden recovery partition installed on your Mac with some basic installation files. It will download whatever else you need from the Internet. But even in the worst case scenario (e.g. you completely erase the SSD and all partitions), your firmware will still boot into a special diagnostic mode that will transit your Mac's serial number to Apple and reinstall Mountain Lion from the Internet.

15. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think he's trying to reinstall Mountain Lion on his rMBP. He's trying to install the copy of Mountain Lion he got with his rMBP on his old MBP.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

That requires buying a copy on the old MBP.

17. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

so you arent allowed to install ML that came with your new macbook pro on another mac book pro? i thought u are allowed to "share" it within the family up to whatever-the-number-was devices

thats kinda stupid. i already formatted the old mbp how am i supposed to get ML now. my rmbp wont let me download it at the mac store even if i wanted to pay for it

18. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

Use carbon copy and clone your install to the hard drive of your other machine and it should work.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

The license that comes with your Mac is for that Mac only. When you purchase an upgrade for an existing Mac, Apple lets you install that upgrade on your other Macs. It's Apple's licensing terms. They are far more liberal than Microsoft on that.

My suggestion is to restore your old Mac from a backup, and then go onto the App Store and download ML. If you can't do that, a trip to the Genius Bar should at least be able to get Lion back on your Mac.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I didn't realize this is what you were trying to do.

Just install 10.6 on your old laptop and buy the upgrade in the App store. It's only $20.

21. gametime10 macrumors regular

The App Store version of Mountain Lion doesn't work w/ 13" rMBP. I tried many times. You have to go through OSX Recovery.

22. goMac macrumors 603

If you buy it from the app store you can load it on up to five of your machines.

If it comes with a machine, it's only valid for that machine.

23. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

thx i guess u learn something new every day :eek: