New rMBP with battery troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by italolemos, Apr 21, 2015.

1. italolemos, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015

italolemos macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I bought a 13-rMBP in September 2014 and after 3-4 months I have perceived that battery is during only 2-3 hours instead 7-8 hours on the first months. Now with more than six months the rMBO still have the problem. What can I do to solve this?

Here is some information about my battery:

EDIT:

[​IMG]

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What are you doing with the computer while you're running off of the battery? Some applications use much more processing power and will drain your battery quicker than Apples 7-8 hour estimate.

Chrome can cause problems, so if you're using it, that may be your problem.

3. SamB11 macrumors member

SamB11

+1

Chrome eats the battery of my 15" rMBP especially when using netflix or youtube. It uses more power than when i'm doing high res photo editing in photoshop. Im using chrome now as well as iTunes with 95% battery left predicting 5 hours of life left. And i bet if i closed chrome it would jump back to the 7 hour margin.

4. italolemos thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I haven't chrome installed just firefox and safari but I watch a large number of youtubes videos. Other application that I use all time are Sublime Text and Eclipse. They are simple applications, almost don't require much percentage of cpu. I noticed that after upgrade for Yosemite OS this battery problem started.

5. DeltaMac, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can tell us more information, by opening your Activity Monitor. Go to the CPU tab, then the Memory tab.
    What color is the Memory Pressure graph?
    Green is good. Yellow, or red, means high memory pressure, and will often also mean that you have a high level of swap in use. And, likely that the battery will drain fairly quickly. You can look in the list of processes, sorted by Memory. High memory use will be at the top of the list.
    Then, you can look in the CPU tab, again sorting by % CPU. You can see which processes are using lots of CPU time, which can indicate the highest power drain.

Did you try a reset of the spotlight database? That is something that I do after each OS update is installed.

6. italolemos thread starter macrumors newbie

The color showed is green. Check the print screen below:
    Memory Tab:
    [​IMG]
    CPU Tab:
    [​IMG]

I don't reset the spotlight DeltaMac. I can try do it.

7. vjobs macrumors member

Your battery health status is excellent, considering your amount of cycles. So something must be wrong with processes which use an abnormal amount of power... How does the battery hold up if you open up a new user account? (and restart MacBook Pro)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to click on the Energy tab to see what processes have been consuming energy. What is your screen brightness level? Do you have anything plugged into your Mac?

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

9. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

[/I]

I can see that you have shockwave flash running : perhaps that's whats eating your battery.