New rMBP with SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vim147, Sep 10, 2014.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

I've been looking to get a 13 MBP. Originally i was looking for the 2011 models which are a lot cheaper (used) with bigger storage HDD space.

The New rMBP come with 128-512GB SSD. The top model are quite expensive.

Just wondered how you manage with small SSD space when people are used to having 1TB >

Do you always carry an external or have you modded it ??

I prefer the new rMBP as its more slicker but i'd want 1TB HDD rather than SSD as its more cheaper.

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

The 13"MBP can be had with a 1T drive for $50, but the rMBP has
    a $500 optional 1T SSD. So your looking at about $2,200.

BTW, I do just fine with 128 SSD in both my rMBP and MBA........

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

There is a lot of non-essential data which you can offload on an external or even a NAS. Do you need every single movie you own on you at all times? Same goes for pictures? Music?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I honestly can't fathom having enough stuff to fill up 1TB. My 128 is more than enough with room to spare.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I use about 128gb per partition (OSX and windows), and I have a 1.5TB external drive. Most things don't need SSD-level speeds. Pictures, music, video, games, etc all go on the hard drive. The only thing on the SSD are the OS files, programs, and documents.

6. chromite macrumors regular

Depends on the individual. I have two 1tb, and one 500gb external hard drives that are completely full. That doesn't include the 256gb ssd on my rMPB.

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

my personal rMBP has 256gb. my work one has 512gb. Personally i found 256gb to be a tad too small. I require having the full adobe creative suite installed as well as a bunch of other software. I use a USB 3.0 external drive for file storage.

i have a 30 gb dropbox account thats heavily used so that already takes up a huge chunk of disk space.

I don't know how people can get by on less than 256gb unless all they do is word process, surf the internet and go on facebook all day.

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

"Ditto" I have more than enough (128 GB) for my needs. I have a few Thumb drives and a external burner and the iCloud to keep things that I don't need right away or ever. Who places hundreds or thousands of music/movies and watches them all over and over again ? I don't. I have the Cloud that saves those items for me

9. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Am basing this thread on wether in get the 2011 MBP or the rMBP.

128gb wouldn't be enough and higher ssd would be more than I'd wanna spend. So quite a deal breaker.
    Only reason I like the rMBP is because it's slicker looking.

Is there a massive difference between the 2011 and rMBP performance wise ?

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Very. The 2011 MBPs without an SSD take around 2 minutes to boot, while the rMBPs with an SSD boot within 11 seconds.

11. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Am not bothered on boot times. The 2011 can always be modded to fit a 128gb ssd and 500gb HHD.

12. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I went from a 13" MBP with a standard hard drive to a 13" MacBook Air with a 128GB SSD and even with the slower processor and other lower end specs with the Air, overall it was MUCH faster than the 13" MBP. Not just boot times, but overall system speed - launching apps, switching apps, opening files - everything felt MUCH faster when I switched to a system with a SSD drive. I will take a smaller capacity, slower processor machine with a SSD over a machine that has a higher rated processor and a larger "standard" hard drive ANY day. Spend $50-$100 on an external hard drive and off load all of your "non essential" data on that. There is NO way I would choose a 2011 machine with a non-SSD drive over a 2013 machine with a retina display and a SSD drive, I don't care what the drive space difference is.

13. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting.

I didnt really think of the Air.

The Air is 1.4Ghz i5 and 2011 Pro is 2.5Ghz i5.

I want to use it as my main computer, other than browsing. emails, movies/music i want to do light photo/video editing with it and to watch HD streaming videos. Also i need to connect a external monitor and ethernet so i can network it.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

If that is truly all you do the air is more than powerful enough.

15. RianT macrumors member

RianT

Both my MBA and rMBP have 128GB SSD and they are enough for me. I have 2 1TB HDDs on my desktop and most of my movies, music and other stuff are there. The laptops are only for use on the go.
    I would suggest getting an external HDD for storage if you're gonna be using it as your main computer.
    Bw, the MBA and rMBP perform the same for the everyday usage, so maybe go for the Air if you wanna save some money. If you (un)fortunately have experienced the rMBP and succumbed to it like me and many others... well...:p:p:p

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

How about going with a 2011 and buying an SSD for it? Take the HDD out and use it as external storage, or install it in the optical drive bay. You can probably get a 2011 13" for about $700, and a 128 GB SSD for about $100. That $800 gives you the best of both worlds and saves hundreds over a new Retina.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

128GB is fine if you are not a hardcore gamer. You cannot move game apps to external HDD. :apple:

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I hope you do know that launching apps, switching apps, opening files is affected by SSD. As OP suggested, he can buy a 13’’ with aftermarket 128 SSD.

Agreed. I have an early 2011 13'' with 128gb SSD and 1TB HDD in optibay. Speed with storage size. Best of both world.

19. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

I have 512 on my newly purchased MBPr 13" ... I'm a mobile app and web site dev so I needed the added space for fonts, graphic, video, and design files... but I also have a 1TB drive for storing client files and non-program required files.

20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The 2013 is just a better computer

It's slimmer and lighter, the screen is amazing, it's faster with a better CPU & GPU and storage speeds ( this makes all the difference in every day use), it has AC wifi, thunderbolt 2 X 2 and HDMI. All in all having to carry an external hard drive or a couple of usb sticks is a small price to pay for a much better computing experience.

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

256GB is enough for me.But I do have 1TB external and a 2TB external for all my movies and general files.

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yes. Apps will load much faster. The CPU and GPU are more capable. The screen is incredible.

The Air will easily outperform the 2011 MBP.

Any of the computers you're looking at will handle these tasks with no problems, except for Ethernet, both the rMBP and Air are going to require an adapter.

Have you looked into Refurbs? You may be able to find a late 2013 rMBP with 8 GB of RAM and a 256GB/512GB SSD that'll suit your needs for less than the new mid 2014 rMBP. The performance difference between the late 2013 and mid 2014 models is very minimal.

23. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I came from a 500gb laptop to a 256gb ssd macbook. It was pretty easy for me as realised I was hoarding 200gb of films i was never going to watch again.

24. Crugga macrumors regular

You learn to manage. I went from having 1.5tb to 512gb and actually it was for the good. Ive rarely got above 150gb on here now anyway.
    Just keep essential stuff on it, delete junk and use an external drive to put stuff I dont need daily.
    But yes as people say, its movies and music that will do the damage.
    Nobody needs all there movies and music all the time, up till a few years ago it was a matter of having hard copies of music and films and there was no way i'd be carrying 4000 records and a few hundred dvds with me so for the same reason I dont need them on my laptop.
    Remember if music/movies were purchased via itunes then they will be available on the cloud.

Personally i'd not go for the non retina, its a 3 year old machine now, the hardrive is generally the bottleneck and these ssd flashdrives are rapid.