Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominick624

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
So I currently have a mid 2012 macbook pro that I use for things like essays, projects, and general internet browsing.

Would the new rMBP be worth the upgrade? If so, why?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So I currently have a mid 2012 macbook pro that I use for things like essays, projects, and general internet browsing.

Would the new rMBP be worth the upgrade? If so, why?
It'd be.

1. The Iris 6100 is way more powerful than the HD4000 in your cMBP.
2. The retina display is a massive step up.
3. It uses PCIe SSDs as standard. Which is really fast.
4. It's lighter and has a better battery life.

SHEEPOS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2015
2.5ghz Core i5
4gb ram
Intel HD 4000 graphics

No, it's the regular macbook pro.

LOL Apple is still selling your 3 yrs old computer
it is worth the upgrade better screen,much powerful integrated GPU and the battery life is much MUCH better

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I came from a Late 2011 MBP (fully loaded /w 16 GB ram) to a Mid 2015 MBP (fully loaded.) Even though the CPU is only marginally faster the performance is still amazing. I benefit a lot from the PCIe SSD...

Dominick624

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
LOL Apple is still selling your 3 yrs old computer
it is worth the upgrade better screen,much powerful integrated GPU and the battery life is much MUCH better

Oh okay, thanks.

I came from a Late 2011 MBP (fully loaded /w 16 GB ram) to a Mid 2015 MBP (fully loaded.) Even though the CPU is only marginally faster the performance is still amazing. I benefit a lot from the PCIe SSD...

I mean I'm only going to be using it for internet related things and writing college papers and such.

If I were to get one I'd probably go for the 128gb version, rather than the 256gb version. Unless the 256gb version would be better? Most of my files would be stored on Google drive.

Lauwie

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Oh okay, thanks.

I mean I'm only going to be using it for internet related things and writing college papers and such.

If I were to get one I'd probably go for the 128gb version, rather than the 256gb version. Unless the 256gb version would be better? Most of my files would be stored on Google drive.
The more storage you get, the faster it gets. It's always that way with flash storage :)
But it all depends on your budget and needs ofc !

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Nope, save your money. The laptop you have is more than sufficient to complete college.

I know you think that you need an upgrade to your laptop but it's more of a want.

My recommendation would be to buy an SSD and swap it out with your old HDD. Your machine will feel like a new laptop. You can even remove the dvd slot and install another HDD for your movies and stuff.

That's what I loved about the cMBP.

Reactions: yukyuklee

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
I got two macbook pro retina refunded for cooling issues! With a ton of heavy discussion.

I owned late-2013 2.5GHz, when the heavy 85-100c started showing with ridicolous tasks such as opening a 100 pictures and spamming the arrow keys I returned it.. It took 2 logic board repairs and the third return before they finally started to bitch about the thermal sensors were OK (Indicating I was using some ****** software that reported wrong temps, even though I used TG Pro which used their own frekkin values from their own sensors.

Then I finally got it refunded totally (but via the store elgiganten - and not because apple admitted it, but a nice chief of reclamation there took my point with the 100 pictures in quick look and the 97c) and instead ordered the mid-2015 force touch trackpad. I also upgraded to 2.8GHz and this time the model without dedicated gpu which I thought would let it cool easier.

Guess what. The problem persisted. The first day I played StarCraft 2 on the lowest detail but with native resolution it ran frekking HOT again! 95-97c on a brand new mid-2015 and that meant I returned the **** straight to them and talked to Apple officials on the phone because there is no returns on customized macs - but this time they could not argue AT ALL against their terrible cooling. Even the Apple representative admitted lightly that he had experienced the issue he had a Retina Macbook Pro himself.

A nice computer, 10% better than everything else in terms of anything BUT COOLING. But wait until they fix the CASE AND COOLING. The cooling is absolutely undermined and has been since the first retina 2009! Even the 2015 can't do cooling and low detail rts gaming and even 100 pictures in quick look with fast tapping left/right means ridicolous temperatures.

Like I told Apple: There are Linux and open source picture viewers with 1KB binaries that can't even provoke a reaction on the CPU usage by showing pictures. Quick look must be doing some crazy location services **** or some other ridicolous bad software practise that runs on every left/right tap on a picture.

Apple finally admitted, they took my product feedback which in short was:

- Make a proper Retina Macbook Pro cooling solution +fans +larger cooling cutouts

- Fix quick look that absolute ****** piece of software that can't even display pictures without you burning yourself on the keyboard!

- Make your chargers for Macbook so they do not run hot like scolding hot when it charges!

- Use better plastic jacket for chargers because they tear and break up on the weakest point in the jacket assembly.

- Admit and look inwards instead of 80% of your employees admitting to nothing and 'our product is perfect mentality' because it's clearly NOT. My story prooves that. You were WRONG. Add some cooling ffs.

Refunded. I have no idea what I should buy now I love OS X and the products but there is no alternative for me since Macbook Air is too puny for me. I now have alot of apple gear and lots of bought software for OS X I have no idea what to do with.

I wait for a Retina with proper cooling. That simple.

So no... Don't waste your money on a computer which is exactly so powerful that it can't cool itself !

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I wait for a Retina with proper cooling. That simple.

So no... Don't waste your money on a computer which is exactly so powerful that it can't cool itself !

Not sure what you're expecting. Macs aren't for gaming. Opening 100 pictures at the same time can certainly tax the CPU and lead to high temperatures.

Maybe Apple is building computers that are perfectly fine and your expectiations are what need to be changed.

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Not sure what you're expecting. Macs aren't for gaming. Opening 100 pictures at the same time can certainly tax the CPU and lead to high temperatures.

Maybe Apple is building computers that are perfectly fine and your expectiations are what need to be changed.
I'm not expecting anything else than that it is able to cool itself.

Opening 100 pictures is not the same as queuing 100 pictures in quick look CMD-Y (with file selection). It's a dead simple task.

Last edited by a moderator:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
I'm not expecting anything else than that it is able to cool itself.

Opening 100 pictures is not the same as queuing 100 pictures in quick look CMD-Y (with file selection). It's a dead simple task.

Are you just a newbie lurker who decided to pop out suddenly?

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
The QuickLook bug was already fixed in El Capitan.
Yeah. Because i reported it and you sure wouldn't ! Nothing wrong with Apple there! Oh nothing at all! Perfect products - adequate cooling!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah. Because i reported it and you sure wouldn't ! Nothing wrong with Apple there! Oh nothing at all! Perfect products - adequate cooling!
Indeed cooling is adequate. I did a fairly lengthy 4K video render which took about 3 hours, but the temperatures were well within the safe ranges throughout (below 95ºC with fans at 6200rpm, temperature graphs obtained via Intel Power Gadget).

dza

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Indeed cooling is adequate. I did a fairly lengthy 4K video render which took about 3 hours, but the temperatures were well within the safe ranges throughout (below 95ºC with fans at 6200rpm, temperature graphs obtained via Intel Power Gadget).
It was throttling the whole time ffs. Only reason it did not hit 100c

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
It was throttling the whole time ffs. Only reason it did not hit 100c
Throttling is only considered to happen if it drops below the base frequency. Throughout the render, the freqs remained between 2.8-3.2GHz with all 4 cores active (i7-4960HQ). So throttling did not happen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a 2012 rMBP and its still a very capable computer. I may opt for an iMac since for my travel needs are such that my SP3 works.

As for my opinion on is it worth the upgrade, I don't think so, maybe when Skylake hits the streets, but only if there features that present for the new MBP over the older one.

For me, the biggest reason to sell it, is due to apple's track record of GPUs, my 3 year old laptop has not exhibited any issues but I'm concerned I have a ticking time bomb of a dGPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.