new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkcerda, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display
    Originally released June 2012
    15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

ok, after reading a ton of horror stories here about heat,tint, noise blah, blah, blah, HOW do I go about properly testing my new system, what should I REALLY be on the look out for?
    Heat is pretty easy to check, just like anything else, I am guessing those who DO complain are in the minority.
    Tint? as much as I have tried to check the pictures posted, I really can't see what the issue is, guess I better check my vision

I do plan on loading the programs that I will be using.
    X-code
    Blender 3-D
    Maya
    Adobe full suite.
    might run 2 of those at the same time, see how it performs.

since this would be my sons FIRST Mac, anything in particular that we should really pay attention to?

thanks.

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

You really shouldn't worry about such particular issues. From where are you purchasing this MacBook? If this is from the refurbished store, I don't think that there will be anything to worry about. If you are buying it used, the seller should have listed out any particular issues, but the following are the ones you should check for:

1. Dents and scratches
    2. Dead pixels in the screen or excessive tinting (very rare)

Other than that, heat and noise issues are model specific, not piece specific. It is generally agreed upon that MacBooks are cooler and more silent than most other laptops. The only complaints about heat are due to the Aluminium chassis, which conducts heat more than plastic chassis.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Regards
    Raptor

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from the apple store, thanks.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

If you're getting a refurbished model, then don't worry about anything. The only issue in the mid-2012 rMBP models was that the LG panels had really bad image retention. However, it's really not that big an issue in most cases.

Regards
    Raptor