New Router: Apple Extreme or D-Link 655

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by numbersyx, Aug 8, 2007.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Need a Gigabit router and am torn between the Apple Extreme and D-Link Xtreme N 655.

Anyone got any thoughts on which one I should go for (now that Apple has upgraded its AEBS to gigabit). Which has the better performance? Value for money?

Thanks....

2. md63 macrumors 6502

The AEBS has the 5Ghz frequency which Dlink will introduce on its DIR-855, which hasn't been released yet. If you want full N speed on the AEBS, you need to use 5Ghz, while the DIR-655 uses channel bonding on the 2.4Ghz frequency which will give you full N speed. The AEBS doesn't not use channel bonding on the 2.4Ghz frequency.

The question is the compatability of the routher and the computer wireless card. If you have an N enabled mac, then it shouldn't be an issue. If you're mixing various vendors, then you may only get 130Mbps.

The DIR-655 gets many good reviews and seems to be the most highly regarded N router on the market. I have used D-link equipment and have generally found it to be good and easier to configure if you're coming from another router manufacturer. I use the AEBS because I have a mac and wanted to use the 5GHz spectrum which is generally less crowded. If you're buying on-line, the price premium for the AEBS is about 50% over the D-link

3. numbersyx thread starter macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Thanks for the info. I also found this link to be very helpful:

http://creatiocontinua.org/?cat=13

I also have a MBP Core 2 Duo. With the above, it seems like the AEBS does have the edge.

4. md63 macrumors 6502