New router & mac book won't connect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppfd, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

So I've done pretty good with my mac book for the last few months!
    Till today

I bought and set up a new Belkin "N" wireless router. It tells me it is B&G capable as well as mac. I have two windows machines working just fine. The mac book airport signal shows full strength sitting right next to the router. I move away and the bar drops by one. Anytime I open safari, and try to open a site. I get the "not connected" box. But again air port shows I am. I tried all the various settings and assistants in the O/S without any result.

The net work is unsecured for the moment as well.

What could be the problem?

2. Lucascsula macrumors regular

I had a Belkin. Personally, the product stopped working after a couple of tries. I just don't think its a good product. However, you may want to call TECH support. They'll help you for sure.

I saved up and bought an Airport Xtreme. Wonderful product...

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What kind of macbook do you own?
    I'm not sure when or if they've ever placed a n card in the MB.

How far away do you move from it before it drops a bar?
    One step away is one thing, and 20 feet away is another, especially if a wall is involved.

What did you select for the network b,b&g, g, or n?
    Again, I don't believe there is any standard n card yet and b&g really don't transmit that far before the signal drops. My MBP drops 1 bar at about 15 feet away using my wireless g network.

Other things to do/try:
    Change the broadcast channel
    Update the firmware on the router
    Use WPA or WPA2 security
    Uncheck or check the "Use Interference Robustness" in the airport options
    Make sure you have the latest updates installed (or downgrade to see if it improves the situation any due to different airport updates) - mine dropped out all the time with 10.4.9 and 10.4.10, but finally worked well with 10.4.11

Good luck.

4. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Thanks all

The box stated it was backwards compatible. I bought the mac book last June. I'm in the house so I do have some walls involved. What I don't understand is at work and school, both passworded, I have no problem.

I'll go back and check the router and the mb. Would securing the router make a difference?

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm sure it's backwards compatible but normally you have to decide in the router settings which network you want to use-it might be set at n by default and that could be the source of all problems.

Some people have reported that switching to either WPA or WPA2 helped, and other have said that it didn't. I'd just try and see if it helps your situation. Nonetheless, having it secured is in your best interest in order to keep people out of your business.

6. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Killer,

Thanks friend! Indeed the router was set to B,G &N I set it to G and now am working thought out the house on full strength:D Both Windows machines and the MB.

So what would be involved with a securing the network?