New Router, New Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rxmxsh, Dec 20, 2007.

1. rxmxsh macrumors member

Hey Guys (and Gals)

I just got a D-Link DIR-615. Here's what's odd. The router works fine, and I have full access to the internet. My iPhone connects to the wireless network fine, and has full access to everything. My iMac is connected via wire, but will not access gmail - via safari. It will access it just fine from firefox.

I've cleared the cache, and I do NOT want to reset Safari. I had this problem last night (initial setup) and I rebooted the router and it was fine. Now it just quit again, randomly. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit - I've released the DHCP on both the router and iMac to no avail....

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. rxmxsh thread starter macrumors member

yes - that i am not connected to the internet.

4. savvos macrumors regular

DIR-615 vs. 667 Mhz TiBook

No to hijack this thread or anything, but I just got a D-LINK DIR-615 as well and I'm having a devil of a time getting my 667 Mhz TiBook (10.4.11) to connect to it wirelessly. I messed around with all the settings I thought might matter, including trying it in b only and g only modes, but whenever I try to connect a window pops up that reads "There was an error joining the airport network 'd-link'". I have absolutely no problems connecting with my iPhone and my TiBook connects to the wireless network at my work.

Any suggestions?

P.S. D-LINK's support pages are horrible. There is almost no trouble-shooting section at all.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try going to the TCP/IP tab for your ethernet interface within network in the system preferences and clicking "Renew DCHP Lease" and then rebooting.

if this doesn't work are you connected to a proxy at all? i do know that you can setup a proxy within firefox's preferences but to seup a proxy for safari you do it within network in system preferences.

@ savvos try rebooting the router while your airport is off. leave it on for a while and then turn back on your airport and run the network diagnostics utility.

6. savvos macrumors regular

I managed to get my TiBook connected, but I had to turn off all of the security. It seems my TiBook had trouble with the authentication process, whereas my iPhone doesn't. I guess that means I'm sharing until I can figure out how to make the password work;)

7. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Try an older form of encryption. My old laptop (5 year old PC) wouldn't connect to any form of encrypted wireless other than WEP, despite my router and the other computers in the house being able to do fancier things.