New router slower than old!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I just purchased a Linksys WRT110 Rangeplus router. It has a little chart on the back showing how much faster it is than G wireless. My old Router, Linksys WRT54GS actually had higher download speeds..

WRT54GS:
    .65 Mb/s Download
    .49 Mb/s Download
    50ms ping (what is that?)

WRT110:
    [​IMG]

anyone know what the problem is? was my old router simply better? Thanks everyone! :)

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Ping would be the response time from the serve. Like, how long it takes for your data to be sent to the server, then returned. Ping is mainly used in gaming to show how much lag will be in the game.

Also, purchasing a better wireless router usually won't give you faster internet. It all has to do with the service you have. Unless you're far from your router, wireless N won't give you any faster speeds than wireless G.

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

hmm.. we have charter high speed max.. (20 mbps) are those the speeds I should be seeing?

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Oh my goodness no! You're seeing speeds of slower than DSL downloads according to that test. Try retaking the test from another server and post the link. :)

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

mkay..

[​IMG]

I thought the closest one would be the best? shouldnt that 3 something be closer to 20 something? lol.. I think I may have to make a call

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

In theory, it should be. Do you live in a well-populated area? Are there multiple people using your connection? Also, check with a couple other servers to test. For example, I tested using WV Institute's server, I got 1.49Mb/s. I then checked with Cincinnati's, I got 14Mb/s.

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

way too low.

plug in with a wire and run test. if numbers increase, it is wireless channel/range issue. change your wireless channel.

if it does NOT increase wired, there is another issue (cable between router and modem, trouble on cable line, router config error).

8. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wirelessly posted (Sausage: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Try testing it at a late hour too. Like 12 o'clock midnight. That way most Internet traffic will be low for a good speed test.

9. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

hmm.. the tests on the downstairs pc were the same.. How do I check what channel everything is on?

10. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

I *lurv* my newish-AirPort Extreme. :D This is from outside my house on the back patio, quite a ways from the base station itself.

My crappy old Linksys "G + MIMO" router always had MUCH slower download/upload speeds on the *same ISP connection*, even when the computer was right next to it.

Speeds over ethernet connection:

[​IMG]

Odd how downloading over ethernet is somewhat slower than N, but upload speeds average higher. Hmmm...

11. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

okay.. Cable guy just left. A simple replace of the modem got it a lot closer to 10.

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone :) We had that modem for like 5 years and I didnt even consider it as the cause of the problem haha

(and since the 10 is so much faster than it was before, we "downgraded" from 20 to 10. :)

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

[​IMG]

Blast, I pay for 7 Mbps!!!!!! Though not the most scientific of test. I figure most of the issue might be the distance from the router and the fact we have T-Mobile's VOIP going on. Don't know the quality of router they use.