New Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brm-G, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Brm-G macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I'm buying a new MBA in a few days. It doesn't have an ethernet connection so I will need a strong wireless network in my home. Therefore I am looking for a new router. I would also like to connect met USB hdd to the network.

First of all the airport express, it is really nice and I love the audio output option. Not too expensive but not cheap either. Has no USB port...
    (you can't connect a HDD with ethernet to the airpot express right?)

Then the airport extreme base station. Also a very nice one, however it does lack the audio port and is quite expensive. It does have USB.

Now I am looking for a sort of combination of these two. But I can't find anything.

Does anyone a nice router like I described above? I am not willing to pay more then $100.

Thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. Brm-G thread starter macrumors member

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You will not find anything with the features you list under $100.

5. macman312 macrumors 6502

Your budget is hard.... I would suggest both a airport express and extreme, however that is too much for your budget. What about getting the express? it DOES have a USB port

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Airport Extreme has been great for us, both at home and at the office. Our prior router was failing (Cisco), Airport Extreme cleared up our connection issues. For a solid connection, I don't think it's all that expensive.

7. macman312 macrumors 6502

agreed, up your budget to AT LEAST $250, I mean as said above that budget is crap The only thing you could get is a airport express, I still however recommend a express+extream= ultimate system

8. Brm-G thread starter macrumors member

Airport extreme + airport express is very nice indeed, however pretty expensive and then i'm buying 2 routers then.

The router doesn't have to be Apple branded...

Is there some kind of router which has audio out and usb (just want to know if it exists, don't think about my budget now).

9. macman312 macrumors 6502

Yes a airport express I don't think there is anything else that is a router that does that.

Logitech has some wifi music players that you can stream music from your computer or smartphone?

10. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

11. WildGuess macrumors regular