Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
So I wanna get a new router today. Whats the best router thats gonna work with my macbook pro?

I'm gonna be connecting:

1 computer by wire
4 computers wirelessly

Whats the best router I can buy?

Thanks!

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Pretty much any router will work (D-Link, Linksys, Apple, etc). If you are looking for something cheap with B/G I would go with Linksys or D-Link, but if you have some money to spend or you want an N (new faster technology) and want the added feature of being able to plug a printer or hard drive in then go for the Apple one. The Apple AirPort is the cheapest N router (at least it was as of a few months ago) and it's just so well designed.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Buffalo Wireless-N Nfiniti Router WZR2-G300N is my personal choice. It's a steal for around $60-70. If you can find one that is.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
So I wanna get a new router today. Whats the best router thats gonna work with my macbook pro?

I'm gonna be connecting:

1 computer by wire
4 computers wirelessly

Whats the best router I can buy?

Thanks!

I've had many wireless routers over the years. I firmly believe that the best wireless router you can get is the Airport Extreme. Especially for a MacBook Pro

jnash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
I have been using a netgear rangemax router with my imac and its been AWESOME but for xmas a friend is buying me a apple extreme wireless router, I want the N speeds and also I HOPE that time machine supports data back ups over the network using the usb port on the n router, I am getting it hoping that is something apple does, with that and the N speeds running at 5 GHZ you would have a pretty good network setup :)

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
I have been using a netgear rangemax router with my imac and its been AWESOME but for xmas a friend is buying me a apple extreme wireless router, I want the N speeds and also I HOPE that time machine supports data back ups over the network using the usb port on the n router, I am getting it hoping that is something apple does, with that and the N speeds running at 5 GHZ you would have a pretty good network setup :)

Never used Netgear, but my experience with their PCMCIA wireless card was less than pleasurable.

Linksys, however, does a nice job - then again, I have the router hooked up to my AEBS; the wireless on my Linksys I disabled.

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have a Linksys WRT54GL, and I ***** love the thing. It's linux based and will take any of the custom firmwares out there (DD-WRT, Tomato etc...).

I'm running mine with Tomato v1.13 on it and it is quite possibly the best router I have ever had (and I've gone through LOTS of routers).

It's the top rated router at both Newegg and NCIX right now as well.
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190
- http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17408&vpn=WRT54GL&manufacture=Linksys

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
One more chime in that, if you are going for the premium price features (i.e. 802.11n right now), then the AEBS is the best option on the market. I have an 802.11g AEBS that I purchased about four years ago. It's lovely. Besides having been by far the prettiest router on the market at the time, it's easy to use, rock solid reliable, and always been ahead of the curve technologically (e.g. it was worth its price at that time because it has a USB printserver; it had WPA well before this was not commonly available, and also updated to WPA2 long before it was generally available). I got my parents a Netgear 802.11g, and it works, but it's nowhere near as nice.

If you're going for G, as others recommended, there's nothing wrong with the majors at this point. But once you get to N, no one's routers are all that cheap, and Apple is worth the cost.

esspee1200

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Bay Area
i had some trouble with my linksys for some odd reason. i ditched it last week and got me a dlink. so far, the dlink is ok but i cant hook up my other dell laptop to it....:rolleyes:

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
the AEBS is not worth the money. Hit newegg, order yourself the Linksys WRT54GL, put some custom firmware on it, and enjoy the most flexible and stable router in history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.