New Router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jer446, Dec 23, 2007.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

My father just bought a new imac for the office. Currently, we have a 4 port router netgear router with wireless. We have four computers hooked up directly to the router, and his computer is right next to the router, but we have no more ports to plug it in, therefore we have his new imac running on wireless. The problem is, the router we have for some reason stops working ever few days, and we need to unplug it in order for it to work again.

If we got a new router, my dad would prefer to have his computer hard wired. Are there any wireless n routers with more than four ports built in?

If not, will i run into problems if i get a four port wireless router, and then get a regular four port router and piggy back into that? Will there be any issues as far as firewall or anything?

Any suggestions?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Try updating the firmware on the router to stop the bricking issue. I know Linksys had this issue - and they released a firmware update - which remedied it. (for the most part - every couple of months it still might need resetting)

You can "piggyback" - but bear in mind, you will have 2 "3 port" routers if you want the full 100Mb connection - most routers only give you 10Mb on the WAN side.

As for over 4 port routers - I have yet to see any N variants, and the ones with WIFI were a LOT more money for some reason. (almost to the point where it would be cheaper to buy 2 4 port ones)

Also - check the warranty - some routers have amazing warranties - couldn't hurt to call them about it.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Or you can get a switch and plug it into the router then other machines off of that.

4. nhexima macrumors member

Right. Since you only need more wired ports, you can just get a 4-port switch, and link that to your router. All traffic will still eventually go through the router firewall, so you should be okay with that.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Don't forget about his lockup problem though. I don't think a switch will fix that - so if an update doesn't fix his freezing problem - mine as well get a new router. (and then slave the current router / make it into a switch - as they don't seem to brick up when you do that)

*Disclaimer - this is only with Linksys - Netgear and D-Link may differ in that department.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not to mention you can add a perk like gigabit if your router didn't come with it.

This switch would only take care of the ports. The router's function is another issue. :rolleyes:

7. nhexima macrumors member

This is true. But, I bet that getting a 4-port router + switch is cheaper than getting one router with more ports.