New Running Shoe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twistedlegato, Oct 29, 2008.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Well, i need to start running again if i want to do well next spring for high school track & field.

Seeing as we have some runners on the forum, i would greatly appreciate suggestions.

The only limit is the price ($60 or below). The fact that i have a great interest in Asics might help you as well (they just have so many models with with descriptions with terms i don't understand, i need some help:p).

I don't plan on putting more than 10 miles a week on these until the end of January. So i need something that lasts (i take good care of my shoes).

Please and thank you :)

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There's a lot of varying ideologies when it comes to running. One is that many running shoes actually contribute to a significant number of running injuries, as their mitigating architecture actually prevents the brain from accurately measuring impact and preparing the joints for stress. There have been some studies done that tend to corroborate this, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough data to go from opinion to fact.

Personally, I run in Chucks, and parkour in Nike Frees, opting for the absolute minimum in support. I've never had a running related injury. But I run short distances for speed, not for endurance.

3. The Waldorf Q macrumors newbie

I would go to a local running specific store and get fitted for shoes, so you can see what models work best for you.

If the store is too costly ask to see if they have any on clearance or look online. I like holabird sports for online shopping, but that's just me.

4. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

I don't run as much as I used to, but I've put my fair share of shoes to the test.
    I tend to run distance. I'm not the fastest guy on the block, but I can put the miles on. :p
    I've tried Asics, Chucks, Nike, New Balance, as well as heavier shoes like Merrell, Salomon, and Keen (for cross country).
    I know it sounds crazy, but I always gravitate back to Nike. They just feel more natural to me. Of the Nikes I run in, Air Pegasus are my favorite. I've had numerous pairs since I bought my first pair nearly 15 years ago. I have a pair of Nike Free's, but the lack of support really limits the amount of running I can do around town in those without my joints aching. That said, the Frees feel *awesome* when running on dirt trails so long as it's not too rocky.
    In the end, it's always up to you. They're YOUR feet, after all. Each manufacturer has their quirks, (ie: Nikes tend to run a half-size small, versus Chucks, which I think run a bit big) and you're sure to find one that fits you better than the rest. Go to a local store, try a bunch of stuff on, and find something you love. If it's too spendy, just make a mental note of the brand/style and look it up on the web when you get home.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but the shoes do matter for distance running. Some people can get away with running with shoes with little support, but the majority of people will have a greater chance of suffering injury and joint pain, and are better off buying shoes that offer middle-of-the-road support, which are not super restrictive, yet still offer support. From what you said about the false sense of security of running in the most supportive shoes, running on grass would also lead to increased stress in joints due to the brain inaccurately measuring the impact and what not.

For sprinting, it doesn't matter, or at least not to me. As long as the shoes are lightweight and designed for sprinting, I don't care which brand they are, as long as they fit well. They're not meant for support anyway.

6. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I suppose i'll have to take a trip to a sporting goods store and try on a bunch of things. Seems like the best idea.

But keep the suggestions going. It'd be nice to know the overall preference of MR runners.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I like New Balance, but when I bought my new pair of runners, there were no New Balance shoes that I liked. I tried on every pair and came to the same conclusion.

I ended up with a pair of Brooks called "The Beast". It's good for the type of person who has flat feet, and requires a bit more cushioning so that running has a lower impact on your joints.

8. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I, like mahashel, run in the Nike Air Pegasus. They were around $80, though, I believe.

I would also suggest going to a running-specific store and getting your feet measured, gait analyzed, etc. Shoes are rarely discounted at that type of place, but I think it's definitely worth it to pay full price for the type of service that you get.

9. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Asics. they're going to cost you, but they're worth every penny.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

11. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Nooooooo. Do not go to a sporting goods store. The people that work there are all teenage non-runners who will know less than you. Definitely go to a running store - preferably one with a treadmill so that they can watch you run.

I've run in the Brooks Adrenaline for the last 2 years. It's a nice supportive shoe with good cushioning. I have never had any joint pain - even on 20 mile runs. I get them from a local store or from holabirdsports.com - never had a problem.

12. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

asics
    gel 3000
    gel 2130
    gel 1130

all great shoes for normal feet. good pricing. not too much technology, and good weight.

13. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I choose Nike shoes for running and sports in general. Never had a problem with them, and they always feel comfortable and supportive. Asics is also a good brand of footwear too.