Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Appleinsider reports:

"New Safari Browser

Within the next 9 months Apple will also introduce a major revision to Safari, reliable sources said. While this major revision is expected to sport a number of new features, a version of the browser with a completely rewritten javascript engine could appear even earlier. The new javascript engine is said to be 'extremely fast' and is currently in the latter stages of development."

Full text here: http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=444

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
keysersoze said:
Appleinsider reports:

"New Safari Browser

Within the next 9 months Apple will also introduce a major revision to Safari, reliable sources said. While this major revision is expected to sport a number of new features, a version of the browser with a completely rewritten javascript engine could appear even earlier. The new javascript engine is said to be 'extremely fast' and is currently in the latter stages of development."

Full text here: http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=444

With all the talk of major revisions and complete re-writing, do you still think its based on Konqueror? Anything that involves extremely fast sounds good to me.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
PlaceofDis said:
i thought it would have something to do with 10.4 or "Tiger"

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be part of the new operating system, and thus only for 10.4. Maybe Steve will even demo some new features at WWDC

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I think they are a little late, but I will give it a try when and if it comes out. I am dowloading Mozilla right now. Safari is so s...l...o...w...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Dave Hyatt has already mentioned the upgrade to the JavaScript engine in his blog. He claimed that the speed increase was due to bug fixes, not a complete rewrite.

Edit: Here's the quote:

Yeah, no big deal. Maciej already crushed the JS bugs making that 24fun test slow. We're now faster on that test on my dual 2ghz g5 than WinIE is on the test on my brand new Athlon FX-53. We're insanely fast on it now, far and away the fastest browser. :)
Posted by hyatt at April 27, 2004 11:52 AM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.