New Safari Pinch to Zoom is irritating.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Caolan96, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Caolan96 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I upgraded to Lion on day 1. I think it's a nice operating system and definitely a great upgrade. However the only thing I don't like about it is the pinch and zoom on safari.

I have bad eyesight (using a high resolution screen on the iMac 27" doesn't help matters) and loved the pinch and zoom for Safari in Snow Leopard, because it just increased font sizes. However with the Safari in Lion it acts as a screen zoom and actually zooms in on the page. This is a good idea, however in my opinion is poorly implemented due to the fact it messes up backgrounds and other menus that activate on mouseover.

I wish there was an extension for Safari, or even an official setting from Apple in the system preferences to offer me the chance to select which zoom technique I would like.

Has anyone got an ideas on how to change this, or has heard of any extension to change this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You can select "Zoom Text Only" from Safari's View menu. Unfortunately it has no effect on the gestures, so you'll have to use keyboard shortcuts. Apple might possibly change this in the future though, if they recognize it as a bug.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Download BetterTouchTool. You might be able to make a new gesture for it.

4. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

You can also double tap to zoom in on something with two fingers, instead of using a pinching gesture. I find that to be much more convenient and usable.

5. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

I really love that feature

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Use better touch tool and set up a gesture for the following keystrokes:
    Cmd+ and cmd-

Those are the old zoom in and zoom out.

7. Caolan96 thread starter macrumors regular