New Safari Pinch to Zoom is irritating.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
Hi All,

I upgraded to Lion on day 1. I think it's a nice operating system and definitely a great upgrade. However the only thing I don't like about it is the pinch and zoom on safari.

I have bad eyesight (using a high resolution screen on the iMac 27" doesn't help matters) and loved the pinch and zoom for Safari in Snow Leopard, because it just increased font sizes. However with the Safari in Lion it acts as a screen zoom and actually zooms in on the page. This is a good idea, however in my opinion is poorly implemented due to the fact it messes up backgrounds and other menus that activate on mouseover.

I wish there was an extension for Safari, or even an official setting from Apple in the system preferences to offer me the chance to select which zoom technique I would like.

Has anyone got an ideas on how to change this, or has heard of any extension to change this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
You can select "Zoom Text Only" from Safari's View menu. Unfortunately it has no effect on the gestures, so you'll have to use keyboard shortcuts. Apple might possibly change this in the future though, if they recognize it as a bug.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
You can also double tap to zoom in on something with two fingers, instead of using a pinching gesture. I find that to be much more convenient and usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.