Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung_logo-150x50.jpg

Samsung is continuing its string of Galaxy S II television ads directly targeting the iPhone with a new commercial highlighting the iPhone's lack of built-in turn-by-turn directions. The ad contrasts that with the Galaxy S II (and other Android devices), where the functionality comes standard through Google's mapping services.

The new commercial uses the familiar scenario of devoted Apple fans waiting in line for the launch of a new iPhone that looks just like the previous model, only to encounter a passerby carrying a Galaxy S II.

In the commercial, Samsung coins a new usage for the company's name, turning it into a verb to describe how the company has surpassed Apple's iPhone in features and functionality. In the words of one of the Apple fans depicted in the commercial upon learning about the Galaxy S II's turn-by-turn directions, "We just got Samsunged."

Article Link: New Samsung Ad Targets iPhone's Lack of Built-in Turn-by-Turn Directions

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Starting to resemble those political attack ads we are all too familiar with...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can't argue with that - android is definitely ahead on this one. Even though I have copilot for my iPhone, it lacks the OS level integration that you get from android's built in turn by turn navigation and it's something I'd like to see addressed in future iOS releases.
Of course, this isn't really a Samsung feature, but an android one...

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cause it's so hard to install the free mapquest app and use it instead of google built in app.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
As much as I have a beef with Samsung over the copy/paste of Apple designs and ideas, and I won't even get into how hypocritical it is of Apple to sue over it, this is a great advertisement.

It's classic "We've got X, they don't." advertising and I respect it. Hit 'em where it hurts. Hopefully Apple responds with a nice 6.0 release. ;)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
My Samsung, this ad would be more believable if it had Gorillas speaking Chinese.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
I guess this is a problem if you don't understand general directions, orientation, or how to read a map. iOS maps has never failed me and Siri only makes it easier now. Samsung needs to stop trying to compare spec for spec, and take a look at the whole picture.

Last edited:

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011

Cause it's so hard to install the free mapquest app and use it instead of google built in app.

Mapquest is garbage and does not compare at all to Android Google Maps.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apart from the fact that it isn't available outside the USA, does it have the deep OS level integration you get with androids built in app?

Patmos

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2011
Tennessee
Waze is the best Navigation app for iOS. Still, android is the winner on this one unfortunately. iOS should have had this before now.:confused:

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
It's quite nice to see Samsung are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to imagination. I guess their's only works once a year. They used it all on the phone, now they've got nothing left for the marketing.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Google maps on my cheap ass android phone saved my day many times. And it's free! Even cheap nokias have turn by turn navigation. Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature.

About samsung I don't give a samsung since every android phone has that.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Waze is the best Navigation app for iOS. Still, android is the winner on this one unfortunately. iOS should have had this before now.:confused:
It's nice to hear someone say that. I've been using Waze in conjunction with Navigon for a long time now and it's the perfect combination.

Waze's features for reporting and spotting police and other such activity is just amazing, but Navigon's reliability is second to none. Either way, Waze get's little chatter.

MaxReviewsTech

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This ad is pointless. The maps app could use improvement but it's not like I can't just go to the app store and buy a gps app for a couple bucks. Big deal.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
...Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature...

Agree, this is my biggest complaint about the iPhone. Yes, i know Apple wants to re-think the problem and 'do it right', but it would be nice if they kept up (with this feature) in the meantime.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Quite frankly, for the amount of times I use Motion X or Map-quest, I don't even put this on the list of things I'm waiting for Apple to improve upon. I use the built in google map almost daily, but I'll use it to learn the directions, then do what you're suppose to do while you drive - and that is pay attention to driving.

Samdung, like any of the other android powered phones out there, just have so little to sell their products on - there is a clear lack of product differentiation, even between competing handsets. If a non-Apple manufacturers want to steal away business from another non-Apple manufacturer, they're going to need to actually do something creative with the hardware itself. If they want to eat into Apple's customer base, they're going to need to be creative on the hardware, on the software and the whole eco-system (internal and external). Frankly, I don't see it happening. All non-Apple manufacturers will simply cater to the Apple hating crowd, regardless of whether their hardware is better or not. Apple haters will be haters regardless of what Apple does.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This ad is pointless. The maps app could use improvement but it's not like I can't just go to the app store and buy a gps app for a couple bucks. Big deal.

No, you can't buy that. Will your app be integrated with contacts? Will it be integrated with Google Street View (which shows you the picture of the intersection at the next turn on your route)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.